Electric Fence

Help Support CattleToday:

gerald118

Reaction score
I'm using an electric fence, the box shows good but it does not shock when touched. If you barely place your finger against it you can tell it has power going through but you can barely feel it. If you place your hand on the ground, not the grounding rods, then touch the wire it hits hard. What is causing this?
Gerald

You can get a fence tester at most feed stores for about 10 bucks, it help find shorts also. I have done the rubber sled shoe thing before.

Alan

there are several possibilities. You were wearing rubber soled bootsor shoes. You don't have the ground wire coming to the fencer grounded good. We take a rerod pole and wrap wire around the bottom and drive it several feet into the ground. We test our fences by taking a screw driver adn touching it to the wire and then a steel psot in the ground. If it pops and snaps steadily and loudly the fence is fine. If the cattle haven't pushed through it adn are keeping off from it it is probably hot.

test it with a screw driver. and like iowa said if your cows aint out its probably working. cattle always know when your fence aint working and take full advantage of it.

I,ve always been used to fences that would knock the fire out of you no matter what type of shoes you were wearing. Thats why this one is got me stumped.

Wild Cattle":385llltz said:
Rubber soled shoes are an insulator.

Not necessarily - we've got a fencer that will knock you on your butt regardless of what kind of shoes you're wearing. Given the shock I received wearing rubber soled tennis shoes and not coming into direct contact with the fence, I would hate to think about what would have happened if I had been wearing boots and made direct contact. :shock:

You also need to make sure that you've got a good grounding rod and it is grounded. Pick up one from an electrical supply store. They have some that are 12 ft. long or so. Drive them in good and wet it every now and then.

gerald118":157vgz4m said:
I'm using an electric fence, the box shows good but it does not shock when touched. If you barely place your finger against it you can tell it has power going through but you can barely feel it. If you place your hand on the ground, not the grounding rods, then touch the wire it hits hard. What is causing this?
Gerald

Not trying to be a smartie pants, but seriously, it could be you! I check all my fences by touch and I don't get hurt, but if a cow or horse hits the thing I can here it from 100 feet away and the tester shows 7500. Also when my son hits the thing it will take him on a spin!

hrbelgians":2dmaqyqy said:
gerald118":2dmaqyqy said:
Gerald

Not trying to be a smartie pants, but seriously, it could be you! I check all my fences by touch and I don't get hurt, but if a cow or horse hits the thing I can here it from 100 feet away and the tester shows 7500. Also when my son hits the thing it will take him on a spin!

I have to agree.

My partner routinely uses his hand to test the fence. Not me as even a weak fence knocks the crap out of me. does not matter what I have on for foot wear either. I can wear rubber shoes and rubber socks with rubber pull over boots and still get shocked.

On the other hand I have never been able to wear a watch for any length of time. Windup or battery does not matter they all just die. cheap watch expensive watch. They just don't like my electric personality.

pdfangus":39cifwmv said:
On the other hand I have never been able to wear a watch for any length of time. Windup or battery does not matter they all just die. cheap watch expensive watch. They just don't like my electric personality.

There is actually a simple solution to it. If you wear a band that isolates the watch from your wrist it stops that peoblem. Since they don;t make antimagnetic watches anymore, that's what I've had to do. I used to fasten a piece of ballistic nylon to the back of the watch, until I finally found a nylon band that covers the back of the watch. Without a watch lasts anywhere form a couple of hours to a day Been wearing this one long enough that I had to put a new battery in it, no problems. Timex makes the band.

thanks,

useful tip.

everyone else around me is using a cell phone for a watch now but I have been resisting being on call to the rest of the world.

Once had a job where i was on call and had to wear a beeper. Never want to be in that position again.

was thinking about it over the weekend. folks now use cell phone as a crutch for personal responsibility. back in the day you said you were going to do something and you did it. Now you call and leave a message that there has been a change of plans.

I have no idea how people used to grocery shop before cell phones guided their carts into my cumbersome butt. they are in another world while they blissfully run over me. No excuse me. No I am sorry. Some day I may lose it and create a new olympic event, the combined ass kick and cell phone toss. then they say it has no impact on their driving.

pdfangus":3383nyzn said:
thanks,

useful tip.

everyone else around me is using a cell phone for a watch now but I have been resisting being on call to the rest of the world.

Once had a job where i was on call and had to wear a beeper. Never want to be in that position again.

was thinking about it over the weekend. folks now use cell phone as a crutch for personal responsibility. back in the day you said you were going to do something and you did it. Now you call and leave a message that there has been a change of plans.

I have no idea how people used to grocery shop before cell phones guided their carts into my cumbersome butt. they are in another world while they blissfully run over me. No excuse me. No I am sorry. Some day I may lose it and create a new olympic event, the combined ass kick and cell phone toss. then they say it has no impact on their driving.

I carried a pocket watch for years when I had to be fairly accurate with the time. Got so you couldn;t buy an affordable pocket watch that was wirth a darn