Electric Fence Trouble

Help Support CattleToday:

JeffK-MN

Reaction score
I have a Power Wizard 3000 fence charger. That has been only tests 2000 volts on the end of the fence.
The charger has 7000 volts with the fence wire off. It has 3 copper ground rods.
I have checked the fence countless times and changed a lot of insulators and started to take parts of the fence apart with no change.
What have I missed. Thanks Jeff

Start unhooking sections of fence until you narrow down the problem area. Also, buy a good fault meter/locator if you don't already have one - worth their weight in gold.

Aaron":lghlz7dm said:
Start unhooking sections of fence until you narrow down the problem area. Also, buy a good fault meter/locator if you don't already have one - worth their weight in gold.
Yup, what Aaron said!

Thanks
Aaron can a fault meter tell if is under ground shorting somehow?
It has some gates where the fence goes under ground. It is coated fence wire put in plastic conduit in those spots and from the shed to the start of the fence. Jeff

A good fault finder will point you in the direction of the fault. If it points toward the gate hole from both sides, that'll be your culprit.

Thanks for the info. I have to get a fault meter. I have been trying to find this trouble for some time.
Jeff

i bought one of the Gallegher Fault Finders last year.Pretty good investment.Especially like not having to ground it every time.
The OP is probably losing voltage in a partial break under one of the gates.Even with using underground wire,I like to run mine through a conduit such as black plastic pipe.I've had about 4 gateways give trouble due to not using proper wire/no pipe in the past.
I also like to put in spade type disconnects every so often so I can work on the fence without going all the way back to the charger.Used to narrow down the problems that way,too.

Thanks
Jw I have put the under ground wire in pvc for under ground.
I have took out all the plastic corner insulators and put in porcelain ones.
Jeff

i had an underground wire through pvc under a gate.. it was all brand new.. someone that wire had a short in it..

I've had a month long battle on one of my fences. I tried everything I knew to do, and a lot of other people's ideas. I replaced the ground wire, tried different chargers, walked the fence bought ten times, and no answer.
Finally I tried Aaron's idea, I started disconnecting sections and testing as i went. I disconnected and tested every wire under gates on both sides of the gates. Eventually I found a cracked glass insulator.
I had an older farmer tell me when he had a short or hard to find problem, he would walk his fence at night.
I love a electric fence, when it works right, when it don't, it a pain in the butt.

Disconnects placed at regular intervals make troubleshooting them a whole lot easier.

Start at the end of the run and shut off one section at a time until it starts working well, then you know where the problem lies.

Thanks for all the great info.
Bamadan I found it the way the old farmer told you about. I was out checking on a cow that is ready to calf. When it was wet from rain and almost dark when I heard it snapping and found a glass insulator with a broken edge. It's FIXED Thanks Jeff

Latest posts