Electric Fence Charger

Help Support CattleToday:

Here is a copy and paste from the specs of a continuous charger.

This charger can be used for electric fence containment of pigs, cattle, horses, deer, cows, sheep and goats.

Our Fi-Shock™ Light Duty Charger, a high-power, low-cost electric powered fence charger, is durable and reliable. It has a continuous AC current output and a weather resistant cabinet to protect the ciruitry of the charger (however, there are exposed connectors that should not become wet since that can potentially short out the units). Light duty refers to the 10 acre range of this charger.

It uses a 1 amp fuse, with a fused panel for downline protection against power surges. To top off these excellent features, this light duty electric fence charger has a one year limited warranty.

Voltage:

Input Voltage: 110-120 VAC, 60 Hz, .027 A, 10 W

Output Voltage: 1.2 KV +/- 20% open circuit voltage

As supported by this spec sheet you can see the output is 1200 volts and is limited to a 1 amp output. A continuous output of this low level should not afford a major shock risk. On the other hand neither does it afford an adequate output to contain cattle. It is a published and recognized fact that cattle containment needs a minimum of 3500 volts at the point of containment. IMO, a low voltage charger/energizer is just a training tool to condition cattle to breach a fence.

My suggestion is to stay away from TSC energizers. Purchase one from a reputable company that has some customer service aspect to it from the manufacturer. Even better some companies like gallaghars have people in the field that can help you on the farm. Take in consideration the ratings that your energizer is recommended for as well. Mileage ratings are mostly B.S.! There are 4 miles around a square 640 acres. Does a 5, 20, 50 or 100 mile fencer really make sense... especially if it only costs $100.
just my humble opinion. :tiphat:

agmantoo":1v0k9cp1 said:
Here is a copy and paste from the specs of a continuous charger.

This charger can be used for electric fence containment of pigs, cattle, horses, deer, cows, sheep and goats.

Our Fi-Shock™ Light Duty Charger, a high-power, low-cost electric powered fence charger, is durable and reliable. It has a continuous AC current output and a weather resistant cabinet to protect the ciruitry of the charger (however, there are exposed connectors that should not become wet since that can potentially short out the units). Light duty refers to the 10 acre range of this charger.

It uses a 1 amp fuse, with a fused panel for downline protection against power surges. To top off these excellent features, this light duty electric fence charger has a one year limited warranty.

Voltage:

Input Voltage: 110-120 VAC, 60 Hz, .027 A, 10 W

Output Voltage: 1.2 KV +/- 20% open circuit voltage

As supported by this spec sheet you can see the output is 1200 volts and is limited to a 1 amp output. A continuous output of this low level should not afford a major shock risk. On the other hand neither does it afford an adequate output to contain cattle. It is a published and recognized fact that cattle containment needs a minimum of 3500 volts at the point of containment. IMO, a low voltage charger/energizer is just a training tool to condition cattle to breach a fence.

There are some some inconsistencies in the above. Specifically, Watts(W) is equal to Voltage (V) time Current(I) (i.e. W=V x I). So for the input 120 V x .027 A = 3.27 watts, not 10W. Assuming the input voltage is stated correctly then either the .027 A current or the 10W is incorrect. I suspect that the normal input power is about 3.24 watts (120 *.027 A) and that the 1 amp fuse is just fail safe protection. The 10 must refer to acres. Its anybodys guess as to why they stuck a W after the 10. I see mislabeling errors all the time though. I might be able to tell more from a pic of the label.

Also, I seriously doubt the output current is 1 amp because this would imply an output power of 1200 watts (i.e. 1200 volts x 1 amp). Even assuming 100% power conversion efficency (which is actually not anywhere close to possible) we can calculate the output current by rearranging the previous equation to solve for current (I) since we now know the input power to be 3.24 watts. So we have output current =3.24Watts divided by 1200 volts = .0027Amps.

It actually takes very little current to produce a shock. When you get a static electricity shock from walking on carpet there is just an extremely small amount of current involved, but the voltage is huge. Typically between 5000 to 25000 volts! In fact you can actually estimate the static discharge voltage that shocked you if you can see the spark. This is because air breaks down at roughly 33000 volts per 1/2 inch. So if you have to place your finger within 1/2 inch of a door knob before it draws an arc to you then it took about 33000 volts to make the arc jump 1/2 inch. If you had to place your finger closer, say 1/4 inch before it drew an arc then it only took about 16500 volts. In either case, our body resistance, shoes, and carpet present a very high resistance path and so the current is extremely small and no burning occurs. Electric arc wielding on the other hand uses large currents large enough (75 to a few hundred amps) to cause burning so sever it melts steel and other metals.

I'm a little surprised the above mentioned charger stated an AC output voltage since it is known that the 50-60 cycle frequency of common AC power can cause heart defibrillation even at low non-shock levels. I guess I'd have to know alot more detail about the design of the charger before I could pass a judgment on it.

As far as continuous vs. pulse type charges goes, I use both. I think the continuous charger types are a more effective deterrent but I have never conducted any actual tests to state that for sure.

dcara said:
Thanks for your effort SQ. I checked the post and did not see a reference regarding the legality of continuous charges. Unless you or someone else provides a supporting reference ( or I can find such a reference myself) I will consider continuous chargers to be legal.

My opinions on the this subject are that
1) Agmantoo's comment on continuous charges keeping an animal disabled I believe to be true, but only if the animal became entangled when the wire was shorted out for some reason.

2) Given that the time between pulses on a pulse type charger is only about 2-3 seconds, which is not enough time to recover from the pulse, a pulse type charger will keep an animal disabled also if entangled. However, it could be considered more humane.

3) One technical reason to use pulse type charges on solar and battery type's is that they conserve battery life.

I think the big deal is they catch things on fire...............

Kingfisher

I'm not currently aware of any physics on the output of a charger that support your statement partly because I am not familiar with every charger out there. It is certainly possible to design a charger with enough output energy to start a fire but I would think the designs have to meet guidelines/regulations that take that into account. Do you have a reference that provides some detail I can research? As I mentioned above, a chargers output current is very small, and without sufficient current no heating takes place regardless of how high the voltage is. Of course any electrical device could short out internally for some reason (lightening strike, corrosion, etc.) and if supplied by enough input energy such as a car battery or 120 AC input, could then catch the unit on fire which could then spread. But that would be true for any electrical device.

I have to agree with agmantoo. At 1.2Kv that charger sounds like junk. Also, is that a continuous AC output? So what is this thing? A step-up transformer? I didn't see where it was an AC output? Looks like they just specified the input.

The big variable is the animals resistance to current flow even if the voltage is constant. By constant I don't mean continuous I mean every pulse is 1.2k peak.

If you mean that electricity is going through the wire 100% of the time with no pulse, then I believe that to be illegal over there as well as here.

It is not very nice for a beast that gets caught in a wire that is continually charged. There is no pulse for them to get out. JMHO.[/quote]

I can't remember ever having heard of continuous chargers being illegal. Can you provide your reference for this info please?

Continuous chargers are illegal inVa.

JW IN VA":3aklwzme said:
Any where they aren;t they should be. I got hung on one once on charged barbed wire.

dun":3teq1e2v said:
JW IN VA":3teq1e2v said:
Any where they aren;t they should be. I got hung on one once on charged barbed wire.

I wouldn't have a continuous charger that has lawsuit written all over it.
Wouldn't have a homemade one either that has bigger lawsuit with criminal charges written
on it.

A hundred years ago there used to be a weed burner, seems like it was a Holdem 77
Anyway it had a really long pulse and it was notorious for starting fires

Some of the really small chargers for pets are continuous but they barely give a tingle when touched
About like a satiric electricity shock

I use the Speed Rite solar powered charger. I'm not sure of the model number but they cost about $400 and work great! I bought two and had an 18 wheeler take one out when he came through my fence at the lease so I just bought another one. They are dummy proof I know because I can use one. First thing I recommend to everyone when it comes to chargers is to buy a quality one up front and avoid the hassle later.

Kyle

Latest posts