education

Help Support CattleToday:

Go to school, learn how to learn - sounds silly but if you get a good post secondary education that teaches self learning, it is a tool for life regardless of field.

Most of us in here have to scramble to keep up with new technology and new regulations, new health protocols.... and on and on. I think I would be lost without being prepared to learn daily.

One of the business sayings I heard in a course I took at 43 yrs old was - "It isn't change that is going to disorient people in the next 20 years - it is the rate of change".

ALX.":26u6l0ii said:
Go to school, learn how to learn - sounds silly but

its the truth! Learning how to reason, how to think, how to apply knowledge - that is the true goal you should strive for. Knowing and understanding why you do something rather than simply how you do something is very important.

College is no guarantee, but it does stack the deck some in your favor. JMO

Earl Thigpen":234e3pdm said:
dun":234e3pdm said:
I don;t think they'll let me back in highschool so I can get an education.

I thought you couldn't get within 1000 feet of a school. Oh, that's not a law in the ozarks?

That's part of the reason I can;t go back

Jogeephus":yvdnb4zw said:
ALX.":yvdnb4zw said:
Go to school, learn how to learn - sounds silly but

its the truth! Learning how to reason, how to think, how to apply knowledge - that is the true goal you should strive for. Knowing and understanding why you do something rather than simply how you do something is very important.

College is no guarantee, but it does stack the deck some in your favor. JMO

Learn how to learn.....The most important that had been said in this tread.

notimeforfear":sbhw28ij said:
when workin in the cattle industrie is a college education, say a bachlers in ag a 100% nessessity. or is it something that if you figure out what your doing and are doing it right, that you can manage without college

I think it can be managed quite nicely without a college degree provided the person who is trying to do it is willing to put in the time to research different aspects, open-minded enough to consider different approaches and honestly evaluate whether they would work in his/her operation, and always keep abreast of new developements in the field. I know too many people who have made a living off cattle with no college degree to believe otherwise - but it requires a hugh investment of time, a willingness to learn from others, and a willingness to seek out information that could be relevant to their operation.

While education can be a definite advantage it certainly isn't a substitute for not being practical or a lack of common sense. I have been amazed on more than one occasion how a person with the perseverance and intelligence to earn a college degree can lack the ability to implement that knowledge in the real world and then be unwilling/unable to follow the advice of someone with experience when they are shown where they went wrong. I am unfortunately related to a couple of prime examples.

msscamp":2dp59o5z said:
notimeforfear":2dp59o5z said:
when workin in the cattle industrie is a college education, say a bachlers in ag a 100% nessessity. or is it something that if you figure out what your doing and are doing it right, that you can manage without college

I think it can be managed quite nicely without a college degree provided the person who is trying to do it is willing to put in the time to research different aspects, open-minded enough to consider different approaches and honestly evaluate whether they would work in his/her operation, and always keep abreast of new developements in the field. I know too many people who have made a living off cattle with no college degree to believe otherwise - but it requires a hugh investment of time, a willingness to learn from others, and a willingness to seek out information that could be relevant to their operation.

I agree that it can be done with out formal education by some,,, but those people are few. The majority need it. I would never tell any one they don't need it. They need to try college and then if they decide its not for them,,, so be it.

Go back and read Hereford.us He told it like it is.

I'm an old man now, and I've travelled that road. Believe me "most of it is unexpected" says it all. However, if you are young and have a 4 yr college degree in anything, you are far better armed than the next guy.
Whenever I started a job I got at least $1,000 a month more than the guy next to me without the degree....even though he was often the better qualified at the job.
Ain't fair, but that's just how it is.