education

Help Support CattleToday:

notimeforfear

Reaction score
when workin in the cattle industrie is a college education, say a bachlers in ag a 100% nessessity. or is it something that if you figure out what your doing and are doing it right, that you can manage without college

I would say that you dont HAVE to have college, but in this day and age, you definitely need it.

Some of the most knowledgeable cattle folks I've met never made it to high-school.

cfpinz

I might be talking through my hat, but I'm not sure an ag degree is important, but having business knowledge is. The school of hard knocks teaches you pretty good, but a Junior College business degree might be cheaper

The Bachelor":3oocl0f9 said:
I might be talking through my hat, but I'm not sure an ag degree is important, but having business knowledge is. The school of hard knocks teaches you pretty good, but a Junior College business degree might be cheaper

I totally agree.You can never go wrong by going to a few business classes. ;-)

notimeforfear":1bf996g5 said:
when workin in the cattle industrie is a college education, say a bachlers in ag a 100% nessessity. or is it something that if you figure out what your doing and are doing it right, that you can manage without college

It depends on what you want to do and your circumstances. IF you inherited a thousand acre ranch which you grew up on and know the business in intimate detail, you could use an accounting course, ai school, maybe diesal mechanic's class (my area of greatest weakness), high school 4H or FFA, and some continuing education classes like your state's "Master Cattleman' curriculum, 'Angus Bootcamp', 'Hereford Young Guns' etc just to get you up to speed with what the world outside your ranch is doing. You would gain from an Animal Science degree; but not THAT much. Now if you did not have your future handed to you on that silver platter and you want to work your way up in this business; then the degree is essential to seperate yourself from the pack of everybody else who wants the jobs and promotions you want. The market for GOOD jobs is so competitive that in a lot of cases you have to have a degree just to be in the file of people that gets looked at.

Brandonm2":2oim8m8f said:
Now if you did not have your future handed to you on that silver platter and you want to work your way up in this business; then the degree is essential to seperate yourself from the pack of everybody else who wants the jobs and promotions you want. The market for GOOD jobs is so competitive that in a lot of cases you have to have a degree just to be in the file of people that gets looked at.

Dagnabit!! He's right!! I just thought you were raising your own cattle. If your working for somebody, by all means get an animal science degree. Put yourself ahead of the curve. Sometimes I oughta either not think so much or think a little more.

Guess I was kinda talking through my hat

if your going to work in an ag related job outside the farm.then you need a collage degree.but if your on the farm a willingness to learn an common sense will teach alot.you cant beat common sense.most all the farmers an ranchers dont have collage drees.unless they took over from their parents.then they maybe collage educated.

notimeforfear":1xwnri0h said:

A wise person once told me, 4 years from now you will be 4 years older, with or without a college degree. You choose your future. I went at it all the hard way. Years of part time night school.

If you are going to college and your instructor is just a little bit older than you, with no real experience, everything you learn will be out of a book. But you will get credentials.

If you are working for yourself, there is not much need to worry. If you are working for someone else, there's a big difference in being a "good ole boy" and being something else. It is all about competition and salaries.

I was told by some very successful guys early on that you need to go to college for the experience if nothing else.

Even if you go and get a degree a field that you are not planning on going into,,, to get out on your own and make your own decisions, meet all kinds of different people, and just take everything in, is an eduction in itself. It opens you mind up to things you would not have thought about before.

Brute 23":xhvgm23b said:
I was told by some very successful guys early on that you need to go to college for the experience if nothing else.

Even if you go and get a degree a field that you are not planning on going into,,, to get out on your own and make your own decisions, meet all kinds of different people, and just take everything in, is an eduction in itself. It opens you mind up to things you would not have thought about before.

Agree...there are many intangibles one receives through any mode of "formal" education.

The formal education courses provides one with a "quick" summary of past research, issues, events, and good/bad experiences. On the other hand, the "experience" education provides one with a "real life" exposure to the "current" things on a day to day basis.

In today's world, any academic degree or certificate provides one with a "license" to get a job from an employer...once you get the job, they the "real learning" begins...

As you travel down the road of life, there are many changes, obstacles, and crossroads that will come up - most of them unforeseen.

A bachelor's degree, in ANYTHING, will make the travel smoother and provide you with a lot more options when one of these roadblocks occur.

There aren't many Michael Dell's in the world. Most people will find that their degree will open doors for them that wouldn't be open otherwise.

George

Herefords.US":12nhz36g said:
As you travel down the road of life, there are many changes, obstacles, and crossroads that will come up - most of them unforeseen.

A bachelor's degree, in ANYTHING, will make the travel smoother and provide you with a lot more options when one of these roadblocks occur.

There aren't many Michael Dell's in the world. Most people will find that their degree will open doors for them that wouldn't be open otherwise.

George

You obviously don't have MY degree. :roll: Worthless and if I had to do it over again, I would have gone to technical school. I could have retired by now as a nurse. My son is studying to be a mortician and I think that's great. Too many folks start off to college not knowing what they want, and to me, that's a waste of time and money. At least have a game plan. Know what you want to study and do it.

College is too expensive these days. Back when I went to school, state colleges in Texas were about as cheap as it got.
Not the case anymore. The onl y people who can afford to waste time in college without a degree plan are rich.

Seems like most of the cattle folks that I know do have Ag degrees some even have teaching certificates and one poor soul (not so poor) has a business degree and runs cows.
My accountant retired from running a cow/hay operation to doing taxes full time.
I have never worked in my disipline...geology...but look at the earth and rocks in general with a child like curosity.
Get the education, it is worth the experience and besides you'll make alot of lifelong friends.
And that's my two bits worth...asked for or not.
DMc

What about contingency plans? What happens to you if your plan to persue a career in Ag falls through? Better have a plan "B". It will sure make your options a little easier if you have that piece of paper that says you put up with all the BS and stuck it out for five years (or more) and got your degree - in anything!

You will never regret getting a college education. Don't waste the oportunity.

I don;t think they'll let me back in highschool so I can get an education.

notimeforfear":11i087or said:

Depends what you are planning on doing. An ag degree could certainly help you out. We all have an education. Sometimes it is formal, sometimes not. Mine is mostly experience, although I did attend some college. My husbands is entirely experience. And yet we are managing our own farm/ranch. Neither of us would have trouble finding work in the agricultural industry, although, it would not necessarily be 'high level' jobs. We could find work as managers for a ranch, feedlot work (processing, feeding, pen checking). I have a certificate in AI so I can do that. College would certainly help, especially on the business management or accounting level. But you will need a lot of ground level experience as well.