eating problem

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbilly1234

Reaction score
I have a 30 year old horse that eats her own manure not a lot but nibbles she has very good grass hay and a salt block do you think she is low in some mineral maybe i will get her a mineral block to chew on maybe that will solve this nasty habit.

I second that. I always heard that loose mineral was necessary for cattle because they do not bit the block as good as horses, but as a horse gets alot older ya wonder about efficiency issues and dentition being able to grab mineral blocks as well?

hillbilly1234":2f8gy5ti said:
I have a 30 year old horse that eats her own manure not a lot but nibbles she has very good grass hay and a salt block do you think she is low in some mineral maybe i will get her a mineral block to chew on maybe that will solve this nasty habit.

Have you ever noticed how those blocks are labeled as trace mineral blocks? Don't you think there is a reason why they are labeled that way? Do your horse a favor and buy her a good, loose mineral that will actually satisfy her nutritional needs.

msscamp":28dswej4 said:
Have you ever noticed how those blocks are labeled as trace mineral blocks? Don't you think there is a reason why they are labeled that way?
Because they contain trace minerals?

My horses get the same mineral as my cattle. Right now I am using a Nutrena beef mineral that is a weather resistant mineral. I also offer a 90 ppm Se loose salt since in this area we have seen alot of selinium deficiency problems.

I've heard alot of times when horses do this that a few doses of probiotics will fix the problem. They do this because their stomach bugs aren't right and they are trying to remedy it themselves.

hayray":1s4rx1is said:
My horses get the same mineral as my cattle. Right now I am using a Nutrena beef mineral that is a weather resistant mineral. I also offer a 90 ppm Se loose salt since in this area we have seen alot of selinium deficiency problems.

mine too....
I use one that was manufactered by Youngs but has recently been bought by Cargill.
I mix my own horse feed and put some of the mineral in the mix to make sure they get it and have it available loose as well.

Latest posts