Donkey Eating

Help Support CattleToday:

rowdyred

Reaction score
My neighbor complains that a cow of mine gets on their place every once in awhile, has even said they contacted a lawyer.
He has donkeys.... they have been on my place since 2009!!! they come over to eat salt, they are there to eat hay and graze the grass. My place is a good deal bigger than his..... it has never really bothered me that they are coming over, I've never complained about them. When I have told him that I saw them on my place, he says that those are not his????? Up to 26 at a time... I don't own a donkey. He claims he ONLY has 10, yet he has new babies born a couple times a year, and still only has 10. The herd that roams my place has grown to 26!! So here my question.....If he has really contacted a lawyer.....since I always go get my cow(s) when he calls and fix the fence..... does he have a case against me and for what? My next question is...how much grass, salt, and hay would an average size donkey eat (in dollars) in a year?

Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated

First of all my advice is worth exactly 2 cents so take it as it is. Is fence yours his or both. Tell him to produce the papers if he has a complaint. Report the jackasses to the sherriff and let him decide where it goes. It seems like being a good neighbor went out the door when he said he contacted a lawyer. Call his bluff and fix the fence correctly and Bill him for his half.

The fence runs into a swamp.....it has been the border for 20 something years. About 3 years ago we agreed to try and drain some of the swamp...as the swamp dries, it leaves dry land for the cattle and donkeys to go around, it has not dried enough to build a complete fence. As soon as it does, I promise I'll build a fence, so for the mean time, I'm stuck extending it as needed. The rest of the fence, he built before I started running cattle, the last time ,before this weekend, that my cattle got out was Easter Sunday. He doesn't own a tractor, so for the past 5 years, Ive put out hay for him, for his donkeys, Ive came over and bush-hogged for him, when he needed some done. Before me, his brother-in-law from about 10 miles away would drive over his tractor and do it, he'll have to start again this year. I know building a better fence will stop some of the complaining. I will build one when I can.

He's an idiot. I've got a neighbor like that. Just ignore his foolishness. A reaction is probably what he's after anyway.

I'd have to just tell him that since he only has 10, the other 16 will be heading to a salebarn somewhere the next time they are on your place.

It's easy for me to sit on the couch and comment on this but I shouldn't bc I don't know all the particulars.

1) If it's dry enough for the animals to walk around the end of the fence then it's dry enough to put up some portable panels or some type of temporary barrier until you can build a permanent fence.
2) I wouldn't feed his donkeys with my resources.
3) I would keep my animals in by whatever means necessary. I do realize the occasional jailbreak will almost always certainly happen.
4) I would not be concerned with doing anything beneficial for him if his attitude is ornery and we are hearing the full story.
5) I wouldn't worry about his threats of lawyers and such, and would completely erase them from my mind in order to clear up more space to use more productively for other thoughts.
6) Donkeys would make good target practice. Just practice ethical shots.

Y'all are hearing the whole story, his donkeys live on my land, they don't go back. He has 10 that stay on his place, he had 22 at one time. They came over a few years ago, they came over for salt, he didn't know he was supposed to put it out, I guess. He married into this family, he is from somewhere up north. His mother-in-law owns the land, her brother had cattle and donkeys on it. He passed away, the family sold the cattle, by the way his cows and bull came over often, I would call and he would come get them, never a cross word between us. I discussed the donkeys with him at one time, he denied that they were his????(and technically I guess they belong to his mother-in-law) I told him I might give them away, he said do whatever you want, I wouldn't mind if I could give mine away also. So I advertised and gave away 21, the herd on my place had gotten to 26. They are now 7 on me. ( had 2 babies since I gave away 21). I really dont mind the donkeys, and my cows dont stay on his place, like I stated before, a couple weekends ago was the first time since Easter, they haven't been out since then. And, you would think if it was dry enough for cows to go around that I would be able to build a fence, it really is not dry enough yet. My plans are, this winter burn what I can, so I can see what's out there, and go from there.
I do appreciate the advice, I just needed a place to vent!

Well....my cows have not been back to his place since I wrote that. Like I stated before they don't get out often. My wife keeps a check on them 2 or 3 times a day, they have grazed the field next to his land a few times, didn't cross over.
I'm a teacher and I also mow yards, since mowing is about over, I'm getting close to building a new fence, 5 strands.

rowdyred":2igskpps said:
........... we agreed to try and drain some of the swamp...as the swamp dries, it leaves dry land for the ..........and donkeys to go around...........
This is subliminal politics right here....... ;-) :lol: Good one!