Eat More Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

ClodHopper37869

Reaction score
Not Chicken,
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7440195/Oxford-University-scientists-claim-Britons-eat-poultry-risk-developing-cancer.html

maybe chicken instead of roundup is causing the non-Hodgkin's lymphoma we've reading about.

We buy Rangers to dress out for our own freezer. We used to buy Cornish crosses, but a lot of them had weird fatty tumors. Plus, they have heart attacks and die if you don't slaughter them on time. They lay around a lot those last few weeks. I really prefer the flavor and vigor of the Rangers. Our garden is fenced, so when it's spent, we turn the Rangers out on it to scratch around and fertilize it over the winter. Those birds are so much tastier.

Since you are what you eat, it's probably better not to eat unhealthy chickens. After my experience, I would consider all Cornish crosses and commercial birds to be unhealthy. All those commercial chickens have the same issues as the Cornish crosses we raised. Plus, what I buy from the feed store to give them is different quality than what the commercial guys buy them. I know some folks that opted for the chicken companies to come in and build facilities on their farm. It looked like nice income. It's curious the way the companies control everything. One should be suspicious.

I keep telling the wife that they are fowl in more ways than one. If you have to eat chicken it should be home raised for a lot of reasons. At my old job we had a couple of those chicken pluckers we rented out cheap. It made it easy to process your own chicken. Doing it the old way by hand.... I ain't raising no chickens.

One tip we learned was not to buy a scalder. Just buy a turkey fryer to heat water up. It works better at controlling the temperature and it's cheaper. We pluck by hand, but it goes fast. The right temp, and dressing them out at the right age, makes all the difference.

Dave said:
I keep telling the wife that they are fowl in more ways than one. If you have to eat chicken it should be home raised for a lot of reasons. At my old job we had a couple of those chicken pluckers we rented out cheap. It made it easy to process your own chicken. Doing it the old way by hand.... I ain't raising no chickens.

We rent the plucker from Pierce County Conservation District. It totally pays off, even if I have to go over that Darn Bridge. :bang:

Named'em Tamed'em said:
Dave said:

We rent the plucker from Pierce County Conservation District. It totally pays off, even if I have to go over that Darn Bridge. :bang:

I thought that Mason CD had one too. Thurston has two of the units. You can get to both of them while avoiding the bridge and Tacoma traffic.

Latest posts