early weaning

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan

Reaction score
What are the negatives when considering weaning at roughly 4 1/2 months versus our normal 6 months? Got a few calves that I am going to show early this fall, and was considering early weaning.

Thanks,

Ryan

On early weaning:

My "guess" would be that early weaning (less than 6 months old) would have a lot to do with the size of the calf, growth rate, behavior/attitude of dam toward calf (and vice versa) to enter into the decision.

We shoot for ~205 days weaning, but in special case, not less than 6 months old.

Ryan

I would try to get them eating a little before you weaned. If possible try penning the calves up and start feeding them and letting the cows in twice a day so the calves can nurse for at least a couple weeks.

Since these will be show calves there shouldn;t be a problem. You just needto remember that at that age they have a higher nutritional need then an older/heavier calf. Less hay and more grain in the ration. Something with a high percentage of a bpass protein, like corn gluten pellets, will boost the protein and decrease the possibility of acidocis. But they will still require hay, mineral and clean water. The latter is obvious but too frequently the obvious gets overlooked.

dun

Right now, in the pasture, they get creep feed. We use the same feed for creep as all the other show cows get. They dont get a whole lot in the creep feeders, but they go right to eating when they get weaned... they might be balling for mom, but their head is in the food trough while doing it.

If we did wean them now here is what they would have:
-all the grain they could eat
-hay (not quite free choice as that is too wasty)
-there is actually grass in the pens right now
-all the clean water they can drink
-and a mineral bucket

Plus, they would be in the pens with our January born calves we weaned this week.

Pretty safe to go ahead an wean them? Probably wouldnt do it for about 2 more weeks or so... they'd be right around 4 1/2 months

Ryan,
I'd look at the signs on the calendar when I wean them if I were you. They seem to stress alot less when you wean them with the signs in the lower part of the body. Alot of folks don't believe in this but it works. If you wean them when the signs are in the head they'll bawl and stress alot more. If your calves are a good size they should be fine to wean early.

Ryan

You should have no problem weaning them at this age. Have weaned as early as 3 months & dairy bottle calves are usually weaned at around 2 months. They do need around a 16% protein feed at this age.

The lowest stress way to wean is fencline weaning where the calf only has a fence between it & mom for the first 3-4 days then gradually move mom farther away. Needless to say, the fence must be a good one. My preference is a barbed wire or net fence with a hot wire at least on the calf side or if the cattle are already trained to a hot wire, then a really hot 2 wire fence work well. Holding the calf in a dusty or muddy corral is not the best environment. A grass trap or pasture is best.

Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Latest posts