Earl T. is right

Help Support CattleToday:

Joy in Texas

Reaction score
So I did not hijack Haase thread I just wanted to answer back to Earl. Brahmas are crazy cattle.
lastscan3.jpg

This was takened Apr.,1980.. The bull we raise here is 2-2 and a half years old. As far as those wild crazy brahma cows we had a hundred head. If you notice no one is feeding them cubes or anything. They just come up to visit.
This not to say everyone of them were gentle. We had one witch named Geraldine. My father in law liked her so she stayed.
Thats why I said to each his own. What you like may not be something I like. Haase just needed to know that some limo's are nuts just like some brahmas are nuts. A person starting off does not need brahmas thats for sure.

I agree. One of the craziest cows I have ever seen was a Hereford. She tore done more fence than a man could build in a year. The other 50 or so in the pasture with her would eat out of your hand.

Joy in Texas":2y88ud2j said:
So I did not hijack Haase thread I just wanted to answer back to Earl. Brahmas are crazy cattle.
lastscan3.jpg

This was takened Apr.,1980.. The bull we raise here is 2-2 and a half years old. As far as those wild crazy brahma cows we had a hundred head. If you notice no one is feeding them cubes or anything. They just come up to visit.
This not to say everyone of them were gentle. We had one witch named Geraldine. My father in law liked her so she stayed.
Thats why I said to each his own. What you like may not be something I like. Haase just needed to know that some limo's are nuts just like some brahmas are nuts. A person starting off does not need brahmas thats for sure.

I like the Brimmer girls and I have had some that would eat you alive.

With Brahmans, as with nearly every breed, you'll find the "nuts" as well as the gentle ones. I cull for disposition, so you won't find any wild ones in my herd. Not only is it not worth the risk to your health, they also tend to be "dark cutters" and rarely process well. If Brahman breeders would cull their bad dispositioned cattle, I think we could get a much better reputation!

I like them. I prefer brangus cattle. I also have brahma/charlais cross.

I wouldn't go climbing on their backs tho :lol:

Any cow arriving at a strange locale is going to want to go home. Brahma seem to be home sick a lot. When you have some born on your place, they are real comfortable with everything. Just don't "rock their boat" and everything will be just fine.

backhoeboogie":3axkrp6u said:
I like them. I prefer brangus cattle. I also have brahma/charlais cross.

I wouldn't go climbing on their backs tho :lol:

Any cow arriving at a strange locale is going to want to go home. Brahma seem to be home sick a lot. When you have some born on your place, they are real comfortable with everything. Just don't "rock their boat" and everything will be just fine.

And they are great Momma's put a Herf or Angus bull on them and ring the bell at the salebarn. Now the Herf cross has more than it's share of loose screws. The Tigers are not for the beginner.

TheBullLady":1jl127i3 said:
TazHorns.jpg

A crazy Brahman... at the risk of incurring Caustic's wrath. But I'm feeling brave tonight![/img]

You are just too cool Bull Lady..How old is your bull ? The one we had in the picture I could set on him also. He was very gentle.
Thanks for the picture

Caustic Burno":3r3sr46h said:
Joy in Texas":3r3sr46h said:
lastscan3.jpg

I like the Brimmer girls and I have had some that would eat you alive.
Thanks CB so do I .

too me brahman are actually smart they can smell a rat quicker than most and dont forget bad experiances thats why rookies dont need too start out with them.cause their temperment dont get better when you cross em the F1's will come near getting you that the purebreds thats why you see alot of rodeo bulls are 1/2 brahman cause their meaner the purebreds just sull

All breed of cattle somewhere down the line have nut cases. One nut case in a herd can ruin the whole bunch. I cull all crazy no matter what they are. I can almost tell if a calf is going to be nuts when they are a couple of days old. I don't buy from the sale barn . That's like a box of chocolates YOU don't know what you will get.
I raise my own or buy from a local. That way I can see what their disposition is. What is the parents like ect..
I will not put any breed down. But I will voice an opinion whether I have had dealings with breed. Everyone raises cattle different. How I do something ,no one else may agree with,but if its working for me So be it.

If brimmers are handled slow and easy they can be very gentle. But when one goes rank on you, they are big and strong and can do a lot of damage in short order.

Years ago I would work at the auction on sale days. When you heard the boys in the back holler "bad bull, bad bull coming through" a Brimmer would be coming. Funny thing, they usually were not bad bulls at all. The bad bulls were sometimes Holsteins, but a lot of Jersey bulls were probably the worst.

It wasn't until we started running Brahman influenced cattle that I really learned how to work cattle. Hoorah them once and you'll have to do it every time. Work them easy and they're easy to handle.

dun

It wasn't until we started running Brahman influenced cattle that I really learned how to work cattle.

I had never looked at it that way, but you are right. I used to round up my brother and 2 friends to work cattle. With the brangus I had to learn to do nearly everything by myself. Just looking at a stranger would set them off.

Latest posts