Ear tags?

Help Support CattleToday:

Garnet

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here and new to owning cattle as well.

I'm getting a Jersey steer in a few days but I'd like to get him tagged before the move. How do I go about doing this? I'm not sure where to get the tag in a short amount of time and what else I'd need to do with it. Sorry if this was asked before but the search isn't working for me right now.

-Thank you!

They sell the tags at any farm/feed type store, you will also need the tool to install the tag. The folks your getting the steer calf might be able to do it for you, it would seem rather pricey to do just one steer. Not sure but I have only seen the tags come in qty's of 25 or more. The applicator tool runs $20 or so.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/livestock/ ... -ear-tags/

It's different I think in Canada, butr in the US if you only have 1 or 2 head there's no reason to tag them unless they'll be running with someones elses herd

Do they come with numbers on them? I'm not really sure how tags work since I didn't know I would be needing one and never really bothered to look into it until now.

Thank you for your help!

PS: They will be with a friend's herd and they want my steer to be tagged so I don't really have a choice. =]

yeah one head i wouldnt tag usually the point of tagging for us is to match calf with cow more easliy and show sex on a quick glance depending on ear tagged. but if you really need it tagged than around here runnings farm and fleet will sell single tags.

People should be required to put their country in their information.
That said, If you live in Canada you can not buy or sell an animal without an RFID tag. Any animal which moves off your home quarter is required to have this tag. This includes community pastures and vet visits. If you get caught without a tag, the fine is quite hefty. It is also requested to be age verified. You can only age verify an animal born on your farm. If the animal loses the tag, you are required to replace it, and record the number...oh yeah...did i mention, you should get the RFID number when you buy the animal to continue trace back?

I currently live in the US if that helps any.

Also, is $250.00 a good price for a 5 month old Jersey steer?

Be sure you tag it in the right place. Just inside the halfway point (towards the head) and be careful not to hit any cartilage or an artery.

If the seller doesn't have tags, find another cattle breeder & see if you can "buy" 1 tag from him & borrow his tagger.
Tags come numbered or blank. You can write whatever number/info on the blank ones with a special "pen" that you would also need to buy.
If your neighbor wants it tagged, they probably tag theirs, borrow their tagger & tag & pen.
Pretty costly for 1 animal if you have to buy everything. As far as I know, vets usually just have the metal tags that clip on the edge of their ear - sure couldn't read it walking around a field.
The price of the steer depends on it's weight - not age. A 5 month old beef calf can weigh around 500#, but a Jersey may only weigh 250#. That would be $1/lb which is probably about right for a light muscled type steer.

Not to be a hijacker but,,,
What ear for cow,bull?
and, is there a year letter
finally, does color have any significance.

Bill

BILL CLAYLAND":vmhv0msh said:
Not to be a hijacker but,,,
What ear for cow,bull?
and, is there a year letter
finally, does color have any significance.

Bill
Color only means something to whoever puts it on. Sometimes it only means that was the only color they had handy. Which ear doesn;t matter. We do heifers in the left and bulls in the right. Somepeople do it the opposite and some put them all in the same ear. Born this year the year letter is Y last year it was X

Ruark":bkcd6k3e said:
Be sure you tag it in the right place. Just inside the halfway point (towards the head) and be careful not to hit any cartilage or an artery.
yeah if you just grab the ear look at the inside you will see 2 big veins running inbetween them there should be plenty of space to stick the tag through. thats where i usually put them in.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":25wgo7qi said:
If the seller doesn't have tags, find another cattle breeder & see if you can "buy" 1 tag from him & borrow his tagger.
Tags come numbered or blank. You can write whatever number/info on the blank ones with a special "pen" that you would also need to buy.
If your neighbor wants it tagged, they probably tag theirs, borrow their tagger & tag & pen.
Pretty costly for 1 animal if you have to buy everything. As far as I know, vets usually just have the metal tags that clip on the edge of their ear - sure couldn't read it walking around a field.
The price of the steer depends on it's weight - not age. A 5 month old beef calf can weigh around 500#, but a Jersey may only weigh 250#. That would be $1/lb which is probably about right for a light muscled type steer.

are you talking about a bangs tag?

Lon":3riy8h33 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3riy8h33 said:

are you talking about a bangs tag?
Vets (at least out here) after two "types" of metal tags - the one for bangs & another one just for ID.
Dun - I think you meant to say X was last year 2010 and Y is for 2011.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2ujcb3x9 said:
Dun - I think you meant to say X was last year 2010 and Y is for 2011.
Yup, years just all seem to run together

Instead of a tag could you give it a unique ear notch to differentiate it from the other cattle. All an ear notch takes is a fairly sharp knife and calf can't loose it like a tag.

Just another 2 cents worth.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":hpa7wmfb said:

He weighs around 300 pounds, maybe a bit more.

And thanks everyone for answering my questions about the tags. I've got it all worked out now.

Texas PaPaw":8mhwj2jl said:
Instead of a tag could you give it a unique ear notch to differentiate it from the other cattle. All an ear notch takes is a fairly sharp knife and calf can't loose it like a tag.

Just another 2 cents worth.

on the few calves i get this is what i do. have a little notcher that looks like pliers and take a triangle cut out.

Latest posts