ear tags suck

Help Support CattleToday:

pdfangus":2tvunjy7 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2tvunjy7 said:
After reading all the negative comments about eartags that myself and others on here think work great, I have decided it is environment and management more than the quality of the eartags.

there is no doubt that these are big factor

animals will put their heads in strange places. I once had a two year old bull get caught in the base of a hollow tree. there was a triangle shaped hole at the base and for some reason he stuck his head in there and when he raised his head he was caught....I had a devil of a time getting him out of there...I finally had to cast him without breaking his neck and then drag him away from the tree to extricate him....once he was down his head would come out of the base of the hole. He lost his tag. But otherwise he was unhurt...

I once found a neighbor's calf hung up like that.He was near the road and a local logger came by who happened to have a saw with him.He carefully sawed the tree where it could be broken away.Calf went straight to the cow.Wonder what was in his mind when that saw was running? :D

Z Tag is much better than the y tags. Had mine in cows 5 years and no fading or no lost tags. I always trace over my #s with the z tag pen prior to putting them in. They also are much easier to put in than y tags

Z tags absolutely. We used the y tags for years and had lost just about all of them until I started using the Ztags about 4 years ago. The two piece tags will break sooner or later...used to find them everywhere.

When use the two piece tags with the black end that goes through the other end of the tag. We bought some cows that were tagged with those one piece tags and almost every single one of them has lost those tags. The two piece Duflex tags we hardly ever lose.

Sky already mentioned it , but a long time ago i didn't do a thorough job of cutting strings off hay. Lost a bunch of tags. Someone told me always remove all twine. Started that and almost never lose a tag.

I use "Z" tags and have had no issues at all so far. Re-tagged all of the girls three years ago and have not lost a single one (yet). The previous tags they had were two pieced and some were coming off. Asked my buds what they were using and they recommended cutting the old ones off and go with the "Z". Really quick and easy to put in when i have them in the chute.

I'm down here in the south, so cold issues are not a problem from an elasticity standpoint. They do stick their heads through with barbed wire and none have been dislodged. I prefer the yellow with black numbers so I can see the numbers better (old eyes).