dusty alfalfa

Help Support CattleToday:

S.R.R.

Reaction score
I have found some of my alfalfa round bales to be a bit dusty and some even have a small amount of mold on the outside. Yes I know the guy who sold them to me scewed me but is all lost? I will be feeding these bales outside in a round bale feeder should I be overly conserned?

S.R.R.":2pmibczf said:
I have found some of my alfalfa round bales to be a bit dusty and some even have a small amount of mold on the outside. Yes I know the guy who sold them to me scewed me but is all lost? I will be feeding these bales outside in a round bale feeder should I be overly conserned?

No, but you might want to keep an eye out and throw the moldy parts out in the corral from time to time. It just helps with overall consumption since you're feeding in a bale feeder.

mold on the outside? wouldn't that indicate they would be moldy throughout?

dj":d9bxkgp8 said:
mold on the outside? wouldn't that indicate they would be moldy throughout?

Not alwasy, sometimes it's an indication of storage methods

dun

Small amounts of mold is not a problem. I think everyone in humid climates has mold. It depends on how much mold is in the rest of the bale. The inside of the bale might be one big hard moldy lump. But anyway if feed
outside should be OK. I would keep plenty of hay for them so they aren't forced to fill up on moldy stuff.

mnmt

Thank you all for the feed back it always feels better to have input from your peers. Dun your right they were stored outside with a tarp cover.

S.R.R.":2kcoh3t2 said:
Thank you all for the feed back it always feels better to have input from your peers. Dun your right they were stored outside with a tarp cover.

If there isn;t anyway for the hay to breath it will develop mold/mildew. If you can keep the tarp above the hay so there is air circulation or use a breathable tarp it won;t mildew/mold.

I've seen it on hay stored inside in a totally closed up building where the bales touch.

dun

S.R.R.":2zn219dd said:
My past experience with moldy hay has been not a problem with alfalfa. Moldy red clover hay caused our cows to slober at the mouth some when we fed it. As soon as I fed some fescue hay the slobering quit. Not sure if the slobering would cause any problems but I figured it was best just not to feed any more. I hauled the bales to a ditch and the following summer when grass got short the cows ate those bales. The bales were about rotten then and it didn't cause them to slober. Not for sure why.

jsramer":1ul0xfnf said:
S.R.R.":1ul0xfnf said:
My past experience with moldy hay has been not a problem with alfalfa. Moldy red clover hay caused our cows to slober at the mouth some when we fed it. As soon as I fed some fescue hay the slobering quit. Not sure if the slobering would cause any problems but I figured it was best just not to feed any more. I hauled the bales to a ditch and the following summer when grass got short the cows ate those bales. The bales were about rotten then and it didn't cause them to slober. Not for sure why.

This may be of interest:

http://muextension.missouri.edu/xplor/a ... g04638.htm

Latest posts