Bullfrog Alfalfa

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
Hay is mostly up and now I'm snooping around the slough ground to see what I can get without capsizing. There will be a lot of volume here if nothing else. Im going to give this batch of hay to a neighbour who is far shorter on feed than I am. I figured I better strike out the area to cut myself rather than have him get in a bind on unfamiliar ground.
90339E31-8087-44E8-81DC-5F5A4F9640E7.jpeg

Lots there and it's green. Better than most of what my cows will be dining on this winter. That stuff usually tests better than you'd think. Your neighbor is lucky. Lots of folks trying to help each other out around here too. Always good to have friends in low places.

I would guess that feed would go at least 8% protein. Swamp hay will surprise you.

I tested some swamp hay a coupe years back that was much rougher and less green than that. Didn't want to kid myself that it was better than it was so when I took samples I went specifically for poorer looking bales with more bullrushes in them. Tested 7% protein 55TDN - no need to supplement until the 3rd trimester. I was shocked.

More old bottom and some black reeds in the stuff I'm finding now. I expect it to be worse than that but hopefully better than straw. 150 bales to go and I can start swapping out the worst bales with onee w/ more grass.Contracted some bean culls (24 protein, 80 TDN) at a reasonable price. Ration should be more than adequate and I have enough good hay/Greenfeed for calving. We've had almost 2&1/2 inches of rain the last few days - things are looking less dire.