Dusty in the Northern Plains

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Dry fall, dry winter, and one good rain this spring. Dusty here in MN and grass is not growing on the uplands. Have not turned our cows out yet. Plan to sell a few cows and heifers next week if nothing changes.

Also have had three neighbors who called recently for hay. Hay prices are up about $10/T so far.

I hear ya. Managing through the drought is new for me. You are reducing herd size based on available pasture. What other signs/indicators are you watching?

I've been wanting to make a water wagon out of an old chopper box, but don't know when I'll get it done.

Getting dusty here too. Got so much rain in February I thought about building an ark but has been dry and mostly cool the last 6 weeks or so. Grass is pretty slow after being almost drowned out and now dying of thirst. Your semi loads of hay may have been a really good investment. Hope it turns around for you soon. I plan on getting some rain in the next couple weeks as I start cutting hay.

I sold a little hay to neighbors at cost to help them out. Don't understand why you would run hay bale count to zero every spring. Guess I am the nonprofit hay bank,

No frost in the forecast, but a heat wave is coming, with highs up to 80. Grass will bake on lighter soils. OG was growing a little but now it is resting too. Looks like crop insurance is a great investment this year.

I am trying a new "pasturing" approach this year. Very fast rotation early and then haying off the residue (if any...) in late June and early July (rather than clip or trample).

Several of my neighbors have drought insurance. I have no idea what the premium costs or how much it pays back. I do know that one said it paid off very well. It is looking like this year it will be like hitting the lottery.

Latest posts