durn road hunters

Help Support CattleToday:

We were out on our eastern place and found laying right by our private road a nice 3x3 buck that some piece of trash shot and left!
Have had hunters driving through our planted fields and tearing up crops. Found a bullet hole one year in the side of our shop. That sucker missed hitting our big air compressor, imagine if that bullet had hit it or even the oxy actelane tanks sitting on the other side of the door. Luckily did not hit any of our trucks parked inside.

I can't begin to tell you all how thrilled I am that they are trying to legalize Sunday hunting here where I am. :roll: Not that it being illegal has made any difference. :roll:

As for dogs being left behind, yeah, that's another thing. Used to be that rabbit hunting w/dogs was really popular around here but not anymore for all the reasons we've been kavetching about. Deer and Bear dogs are still fairly popular but a lot of people have had their belly full of that too. There are only 2 people that I know and trust to hunt with their dogs on our place (rabbit) and they are what I call a "dying breed"----older folks who are responsible and not half-drunk all the time.

True hunting I have no problem with, I have gone out a few times my self. But this sensless killing, irresponsible, crap seems to be more the norm than it used to be. And it is really a shame because it has made it extremely difficult for the decent hunters as well as for landowners.

Katherine

Caustic Burno":15yrkzkq said:
HOSS":15yrkzkq said:
People who shoot deer from the road are not road hunters but road poachers. Hunters follow the rules.....poachers break them. I hunt allot. I try my level best to hunt within the rules established by the state and the landowner. It has served me well. I have gotten invited back just about every place I have ever hunted. Here, unlike Caustic, we have problems with coon hunters. They take wire and ground out electric fences so their dogs can go through. They don't bother to removed the wire and calves just squirt through. 3 years ago I had them tree a coon basically in my back yard at 2 in the morning. I get up, go outside and there are three guys shining a light up in a big walnut tree 40 yards from my house.....on my property without permission.

If I'm hunting somebody elses property I leave gates as I found them, don't drive in fields, hunt safely and follow any special requests of the landowner as best as I can. It is a shame that other folks make it harder on us that do make an effort to be good guests.

Hoss I think it boils down to how affleunt the type dog hunter is has a lot to do with who you have a problem with.
Coon Hunter's over here tend to be the older hunter's in there 50's and 60's.
I totally agree as I am hunter as well. The problem as a land owner and running the deer lease you only deal with the problem children. I am amazed at how it has changed in the last 30 year's.

I may be wrong, but it seems to be a bigger issue the more generations people are removed from a rural way of life. People that haven't grown up around agriculture don't understand that it would be the same as going to the work place and just shooting anything in sight or screwing a few computers up and then laughing about it.

I'm a hunting advocate because I see it as a major means to recruit more people to fight the greenies misdirection. Since we won't likely see a return to the old way of life where permission was granted and people acted responsible out of respect, I hope that most land owners will still allow leasing. I've read a few well written contracts that I think could eliminate or at least more than compensate for most of the problems.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love to hunt. I have hunted all over from Montana to Angola. I agree it is probably that a lot of folks were not raised in the country, and do not realize the harm in a " little damage "to a fence or a gate . The flush of a covey on a cold crisp morning, the majestic bugle of a bull elk. may all landowners have a safe and profitable season.

Katherine.....

I bugged the crap out legislators far and wide last winter over the sunday hunting isue.....
we beat it back this year but it is going to come back again....
I reccommend getting with two groups....
Your local horse riding groups and your local farm bureau.....
they are the groups that are actively fighting this nonsense.
The Virginia Horse council has put together some good information to share with legislators.....
The dog lobby is trying to convince legislators that farmers and landowners support them and are making an argument about property rights when property rights are the things they most want to abuse.....

I am not anti hunting, i grew up hunting with my dad and his friends..... but I am soured by all the trash you folks have described.....I greet trepassers who are driving on our lands with the point of a large bore revolver and invite them to forget about looking for their dogs. my wife is worse....she will take to task any man who grabs his dog by the scruff of the neck and throws em around....my wife loves her a dog.....

I don't know why I shouldn't be allowed to hunt on Sundays. A day of rest, and I have rested my eyes
many a time while I was hunting. Poachers are way down on my list.

because sunday is the only day that it is safe for me to ride my horse on my own land because of idiots hunting the timber company lands around me and anyone elses land they care to trespass on. I don't mind to much getting shot at cause I will shoot back....but I would be irate if some idiot shot my horse.

below is a link to the Va regulations and specifically to the deer page....

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/deer.asp

hunting seasons begin as early as Sept 1 and may run as late as March 3oth....

and they are arguing that six days a week for six months is not sufficent time.....

I am not too worried about the primitive weapons guys as they tend to be the better hunters and at least try to know what they are aiming at.

but in our area hunting with hounds is legal...and it is how I was raised....my daddy loved to hear the dogs "smoke a rabbit"....

but these guys will turn out huge packs of hounds with radio collars and then they race up and down the roads in their 4 wheel drive pickups and try to intercept the deer. and most of them are not averse to shooting from the road .....until I call the law.

after deer season the same guys with the same dogs are chasing foxes darn near year round.....this is the best excuse ever invented other than chasing women to stay out all night and drink....

then when the poor starving hound shows up at my house and is trapped by the electric fence they come rolling in here like they pay the taxes until they are introduced to old one eyed Mr. Ruger. I have not shot one yet.....not yet....

Our seasons here in MO aren't that liberal or at least they aren't with firearms. Horse people around here just stay off of the trails for the 2 weekends during rifle season. Muzzleloader season doesn't bring out many hunters around here so it's really only 2 weekends that I wouldn't want to be riding here.

There are poachers everywhere around here.

J&D Cattle":2xgzbsz4 said:
Our seasons here in MO aren't that liberal or at least they aren't with firearms. Horse people around here just stay off of the trails for the 2 weekends during rifle season. Muzzleloader season doesn't bring out many hunters around here so it's really only 2 weekends that I wouldn't want to be riding here.

I WOULD NOT MIND GIVING UP A REASONABLE PERIOD OF TIME...BUT THEY WANT TO HUNT SEVEN DAYS A WEEK FOR THREE OR FOUR MONTHS....

i THINK ONE DAY PER WEEK OF ABILITY TO BE IN THE WOODS FOR THE NON HUNTER IS NOT ASKING TOO MUCH.

pdfangus":2cpfxz0r said:
J&D Cattle":2cpfxz0r said:

I WOULD NOT MIND GIVING UP A REASONABLE PERIOD OF TIME...BUT THEY WANT TO HUNT SEVEN DAYS A WEEK FOR THREE OR FOUR MONTHS....

i THINK ONE DAY PER WEEK OF ABILITY TO BE IN THE WOODS FOR THE NON HUNTER IS NOT ASKING TOO MUCH.

I'm a hunter and to me that sounds excessive. My wife would like to strangle me now when hunting season rolls around, I can't imagine that much time. It's good to hear you are standing up for what you believe it, to many roll over.

I don't mind responsible hunters. But in the case of the buck on our place, he was shot by yahoos driving down our road looking for something to do.
He was killed for the joy of shooting a living thing. That is pretty low in my book.

road hunters and responsible hunters are at opposite ends of the spectrum.....

you usually don't even know when a responsible hunter has been on the place unless you happen to see their vehicle parked somewhere. unless you hear a shot in the woods....but out our way between the hunters and the survivalist and the rambo wannabes.....we are subject to hearing all kinds of gunfire any time.....some of these boys have heavy armament and lots of firepower....

Dave":27ul22vg said:
Growing up my Dad worked six days a week. The only day I got to go hunting was Sunday.

Like I said, during season I hunt nearly every Sunday. Couldn't imagine it being illegal... :???:

highgrit":2mya91wv said:
I don't know why I shouldn't be allowed to hunt on Sundays. A day of rest, and I have rested my eyes

Because Sunday is about the only day (unless it is pouring down rain) when it is half-way safe for me to go out on my own property to check fences, cows or just go out with the dogs and hopefully not get get shot by the local delinqeunts who are trespassing on ours and neighbors places.

Perfect example----last February on a SUNDAY, was a warm day, and husband was in the shop working on a truck, I was out there nearby brushing/shedding out one of the dogs. I headed down towards the barn to get a square bale for the goats when KABOW!!! just from the creek alongside the barn---on our place----. I will not write here what words immediately came out of my mouth but the last phrase ended with "is it really that necessary?!?" Few minutes later 2 of the delinquents (one of which is 21 yo and should know better) emerges from the woods on the neighbor's place (trespassing).

And as PDF commented on, the newer version of hunting with dogs involves racing up and down the road in Toyota trucks and Jeeps and generally raising Caine everywhere they go---day and night and leaving a trail of beer cans as they go. Many of whom have no respect for landowners and their livestock or their dogs. Last year my "next door" neighbor had one of his Pyrenees shot to death while it was chasing hunting dogs off of his land. Another local person was riding horses with friends when one those Toyotas tore-a$$ up into the holler and spooked the horses (who were off the road) and one them got dumped on the pavement as the horse nearly got hit by another Toyota in hot pursuit.

Years ago hunting season for me was something to look forward to, tracking, checking for "rubs" on trees, setting out in the woods, fresh game. Not any more, at least not around here. The last day of hunting season is always the worst.

I rarely hunt anymore, but have several friends who do. I have no problem with hunting----responsibly.

Here where I am, in Va., 6 days a week for 6 months should be enough time, in my opinion.

Its not even hunting season yet, and a few weeks ago (I posted about this in a different thread) a shot rings out and immediately I hear a zinging/whistle right past my head. No what I consider a pleasant experience. I truly believe the delinquent was not purposely shooting at me, I believe what happened was he didn't realize that I was home, and outside right by the pasture that adjoins the side gravel road and he was shooting at who-knows-what. I shouted out a few choice words then too. I had a very friendly discussion w/his uncle and there was no trouble. Fortunately we get along well with folks.

I'm finished rambling so I'll shut up now.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":1nj69dah said:
highgrit":1nj69dah said:

Because Sunday is about the only day (unless it is pouring down rain) when it is half-way safe for me to go out on my own property to check fences, cows or just go out with the dogs and hopefully not get get shot by the local delinqeunts who are trespassing on ours and neighbors places.

Perfect example----last February on a SUNDAY, was a warm day, and husband was in the shop working on a truck, I was out there nearby brushing/shedding out one of the dogs. I headed down towards the barn to get a square bale for the goats when KABOW!!! just from the creek alongside the barn---on our place----. I will not write here what words immediately came out of my mouth but the last phrase ended with "is it really that necessary?!?" Few minutes later 2 of the delinquents (one of which is 21 yo and should know better) emerges from the woods on the neighbor's place (trespassing).

And as PDF commented on, the newer version of hunting with dogs involves racing up and down the road in Toyota trucks and Jeeps and generally raising Caine everywhere they go---day and night and leaving a trail of beer cans as they go. Many of whom have no respect for landowners and their livestock or their dogs. Last year my "next door" neighbor had one of his Pyrenees shot to death while it was chasing hunting dogs off of his land. Another local person was riding horses with friends when one those Toyotas tore-a$$ up into the holler and spooked the horses (who were off the road) and one them got dumped on the pavement as the horse nearly got hit by another Toyota in hot pursuit.

Years ago hunting season for me was something to look forward to, tracking, checking for "rubs" on trees, setting out in the woods, fresh game. Not any more, at least not around here. The last day of hunting season is always the worst.

I rarely hunt anymore, but have several friends who do. I have no problem with hunting----responsibly.

Here where I am, in Va., 6 days a week for 6 months should be enough time, in my opinion.

Its not even hunting season yet, and a few weeks ago (I posted about this in a different thread) a shot rings out and immediately I hear a zinging/whistle right past my head. No what I consider a pleasant experience. I truly believe the delinquent was not purposely shooting at me, I believe what happened was he didn't realize that I was home, and outside right by the pasture that adjoins the side gravel road and he was shooting at who-knows-what. I shouted out a few choice words then too. I had a very friendly discussion w/his uncle and there was no trouble. Fortunately we get along well with folks.

I'm finished rambling so I'll shut up now.

Katherine

Sounds like you live in a rough area.... :?

SSGenetics":3rfodige said:

Nah, just a few rough people who live in the area :lol: .

The roughest ones are the 'outsiders' who show up during hunting season, and part way through the season, the outsiders have usually been run off by the 'local' delinquents----I guess those delinquents do have some redeeming quality :lol2: .

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":5rqykkul said:
SSGenetics":5rqykkul said:

Nah, just a few rough people who live in the area :lol: .

The roughest ones are the 'outsiders' who show up during hunting season, and part way through the season, the outsiders have usually been run off by the 'local' delinquents----I guess those delinquents do have some redeeming quality :lol2: .

Katherine

:lol2: I know the type!

Latest posts