The dreaded cattle out on the road morning

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Early this morning some folks stopped by and told us that there were some cattle out on the road. We live right by a state highway. Had a mixed group of cows calves and heifers and five of the yearling heifers found the hole. Apparently overnight some scum bugs run through the fence and somehow managed to drive back out of course they didn't tell us or try to patch the fence. Thankfully several folks stopped and told us as they were going to work. We got them back through and cobbled the fence back up. Till we can get it fixed back good. This kind of thing happens pretty fairly often unfortunately. About a month ago we got a neighbors cow in and cobbled their fence back up till they could get it fixed back.

Neighbor had a corner by a fairly busy intersection. Seemed like every couple weeks someone was running a car thru the fence. They move the fence back about 200 feet. Never seen a wreck since. Now they have a lot of yard to mow. Lol

We just set bigger hedge posts on the curve in the road. 12" in diameter every 8' stops most cars.I
At least you got to sleep all night before you had to chase cattle. Lol, I hate that 2a.m. Phone call.

Glad you got them all back and they're okay.

Rarely happens to us because of a busted fence but we had a pumper that would frequently leave the south gate open, despite the Keep Gate Closed sign (reading is fundamental :dunce: ). Fortunately we're pretty secluded and the cows would wander across the road to graze in the neighbors wheat field but they always came back.

Ky cowboy said:
Guy i worked for years ago kept wire cattle panels for this kinda scenario

I've done the same thing for quite a while. Of course having a few wire panels isn't much help when someone takes out 100' of fence.

Open range area. You can count on there being some cows on the road somewhere. It is best to slow down some after dark. All the freeway on ramps and off ramps have cattle guards.

We had a few problems so i made two fences on road boundary side of property and is it as a laneway for moving them from paddock to paddock. I had a heifer out last year and thought i was lucky she didnt get out on road, until i saw footprints. She really got around! Funny how they always get out at night!

Rafter S said:
Ky cowboy said:

I've done the same thing for quite a while. Of course having a few wire panels isn't much help when someone takes out 100' of fence.
Had a kid fall asleep on his way home from midnight shift few years back take out 40 ft he stayed till we got there making sure nothing got out. His insurance paid for the fence

Ky cowboy said:
Rafter S said:
Ky cowboy said:

Had a kid fall asleep on his way home from midnight shift few years back take out 40 ft he stayed till we got there making sure nothing got out. His insurance paid for the fence

You were fortunate that time, that was a responsible young man. We have 3-4 fence damage situations a year on average and more than half are uninsured, and that's just the ones that are reported and the police and emergency crews come to the scene. We try to keep iron posts, cattle panels and barbed wire handy for just such an emergency.

We had one mother and daughter clean up a good stretch of fence. Got insurance details and contacted them, they said fix and send bill, rang five or six times and they never paid. Couldn't be bothered following it up after that.

Ky cowboy said:
Rafter S said:
Ky cowboy said:

I've been lucky enough to have insurance pay a time or two. Some years ago I had the driver's insurance information and contacted the company. The nice young lady I spoke to said they needed an itemized break-down of the costs to repair the fence. I imagine they frequently have people taking advantage of the situation to gouge them. So I obliged, and listed the materials, with their cost, and finally at the bottom I listed an amount for my labor. I don't remember what figure I used but it was generous without being exorbitant. I do remember my description of that item in the list: "Repairing fence in drizzling rain on Christmas Eve."

They paid it with no questions asked.

Yea we had to give itemized list + labor. I ended up buying a farm next to the kids house, hes a real good neighbor watches the place comes over in the evenings to BS and always brings me a beer.

Dave said:
Open range area. You can count on there being some cows on the road somewhere. It is best to slow down some after dark. All the freeway on ramps and off ramps have cattle guards.

My old man has been driving truck all across the US for the past 40 years. He's driven through tornados, blizzards, the riots in LA, everything. And he said the only thing that ever scared him was cows in the road. He had a 500 horse cab over Pete and he would let it eat when he got out in the country. He was always scared of hitting a cow and flying through the windshield

BigBear56 said:
Dave said:

My old man has been driving truck all across the US for the past 40 years. He's driven through tornados, blizzards, the riots in LA, everything. And he said the only thing that ever scared him was cows in the road. He had a 500 horse cab over Pete and he would let it eat when he got out in the country. He was always scared of hitting a cow and flying through the windshield

What freaks the truckies here is camels, i don't know anyone that has hit one but you could imagine the results.

Well to our surprise we were coming up the driveway and met a car coming out. It was a young lady saying she was who run through the fence. She said her grandfather had tried to set the fence back so that cattle couldn't get out. Of course it was just sitting there with broken posts and they just pushed under it. Anyways we were totally caught by surprise that she came back and acknowledged and says she will pay for the repair. Hoping that she does follow through with that, but glad that she came forward.

Ky hills said:
Well to our surprise we were coming up the driveway and met a car coming out. It was a young lady saying she was who run through the fence. She said her grandfather had tried to set the fence back so that cattle couldn't get out. Of course it was just sitting there with broken posts and they just pushed under it. Anyways we were totally caught by surprise that she came back and acknowledged and says she will pay for the repair. Hoping that she does follow through with that, but glad that she came forward.
Theres still more good people then bad