Dump trucks

Help Support CattleToday:

504RP

Reaction score
Any body know of a good place to purchase a used dump truck in good condition ?

I obviously can't help you there but I've been following the clearing sales looking for one a bit up market to replace my 1950's Bedford with a broken axle. I missed out on a nice Isuzu ( went outside my budget) and then didn't bid on a D series Ford a couple weeks ago as it had no clutch, probably just the master cylinder needs new cups but I just don't have the time to play with it. I'll keep looking and one will show up that is in my budget.

Ken

A lot of variables in that question. How nice, size, strictly farm use or on the road some?

Just off the cuff with no info I would say check auctions and find out who is selling local highway Dept./ municipal trucks. They usually have a lot of trucks in various degrees of repair. They are usually pretty honest about what you are getting and disclose known major issues. If you don't know a lot about trucks find a friend or mechanic that does and spend a little to get them to go over a truck with you. Most trucks you buy on a truck lot came from an auction somewhere or are a headache someone traded in. Might as well cut out the middle man. Sometimes you find decent ones at farm auctions as well.

A lot of variables in that question. How nice, size, strictly farm use or on the road some?

Just off the cuff with no info I would say check auctions and find out who is selling local highway Dept./ municipal trucks. They usually have a lot of trucks in various degrees of repair. They are usually pretty honest about what you are getting and disclose known major issues. If you don't know a lot about trucks find a friend or mechanic that does and spend a little to get them to go over a truck with you. Most trucks you buy on a truck lot came from an auction somewhere or are a headache someone traded in. Might as well cut out the middle man. Sometimes you find decent ones at farm auctions as well.
That's what I had at one point, an old NC state truck. It was well kept and very serviceable, but I didn't use it enough to keep it going enough to be reliable. Sold it and bought a dump trailer, which I prefer for everything other than spreading gravel. Something to think about if a dump trailer would suit the OP's needs.

I had plans on going to a state auction early this year but it was cancelled due to Covid.

I have a 6yd bed used one month by the county, then truck was taken for service truck. I than have an LTL9000 Tandem Ford 1984 model heavy sprung w/ 3406Cat and RT913 transmission. Good tires. You can put them together. Truck been sitting a couple of years needs batteries. Has 5th wheel on it right now... Ex Grand River Dam Authority truck. Very well maintained. Located Central OK.

Dumptrucks are my business and I will say this you buy a used dump truck youre gonna have to fix something so dont blow your wad thinking whatever you buy will be good to go completely. Where are you located? Truck trader has been good and local auctions are good if you know what you are looking for. as was stated by smokinem theres alot more needed to give you an idea... What size... do you have a cdl ... ?

When you get one hope you don't have to fool with these

Attachments

• IMG_20210408_133022628_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210408_133022628_HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20210406_121330945.jpg
    IMG_20210406_121330945.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20210406_121324530.jpg
    IMG_20210406_121324530.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210406_121313148.jpg
    IMG_20210406_121313148.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210406_121322147.jpg
    IMG_20210406_121322147.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210315_131357762.jpg
    IMG_20210315_131357762.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210315_131337888_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210315_131337888_HDR.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210315_131332074_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210315_131332074_HDR.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210309_125031312_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210309_125031312_HDR.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
Dumptrucks are my business and I will say this you buy a used dump truck youre gonna have to fix something so dont blow your wad thinking whatever you buy will be good to go completely. Where are you located? Truck trader has been good and local auctions are good if you know what you are looking for. as was stated by smokinem theres alot more needed to give you an idea... What size... do you have a cdl ... ?
No I don't have a cdl but feel pretty sure I could get one. Got alot of work on my farm that it will be used for. And used only for my own personal use, won't be hireing out to anyone. Was told as long as that's all use it for ( My farm ) I might not have to have a cdl ?

Your right about all the variables and type of truck to get. That is something I am trying to decide on. I am thinking maybe a twin screw with at least one pusher axle that I could haul around 20,000 lbs on. Maybe 4 or 500 horse Cummins, and 16 speed transmission, maybe an Allison transmission.

I have got a couple PM so far that has been very helpful and i appreciate the information.

Know what you mean about beware of what you buy deal. Even though I am looking now. It might be several months possibly a year before i find what I am looking for.

Right now i am trying to educate myself as to what to look for. Have some friends who will give me their opinions on whatever I look at before i buy anything. One is a shop maintance foreman over Tysons haul trucks, one has 30 + years driveing semis hauling water and other stuff, have some friends that have their own trucking businesses.

So hopefully with their help I won't get ripped off too bad. I had one my friends tell me that he knows how i work when it comes to buying something. He said that he knew I would read and research something over and over before i ever bought whatever it is that I plan on buying. He thought it was real funny because i do that ? I told him I just think it's smart doing things that way.

When you get one hope you don't have to fool with these
Most of the engines I work with are 2000hp with turbo chargers on them. Don't know how much it cost to replace them but I know it's a bunch and ocassionly its something else causing them to go bad other than it being the turbo itself going bad. And the end replacing it 2 sometimes 3 times before they find the problem.

No I don't have a cdl but feel pretty sure I could get one. Got alot of work on my farm that it will be used for. And used only for my own personal use, won't be hireing out to anyone. Was told as long as that's all use it for ( My farm ) I might not have to have a cdl ?

Your right about all the variables and type of truck to get. That is something I am trying to decide on. I am thinking maybe a twin screw with at least one pusher axle that I could haul around 20,000 lbs on. Maybe 4 or 500 horse Cummins, and 16 speed transmission, maybe an Allison transmission.

I have got a couple PM so far that has been very helpful and i appreciate the information.

Know what you mean about beware of what you buy deal. Even though I am looking now. It might be several months possibly a year before i find what I am looking for.

Right now i am trying to educate myself as to what to look for. Have some friends who will give me their opinions on whatever I look at before i buy anything. One is a shop maintance foreman over Tysons haul trucks, one has 30 + years driveing semis hauling water and other stuff, have some friends that have their own trucking businesses.

So hopefully with their help I won't get ripped off too bad. I had one my friends tell me that he knows how i work when it comes to buying something. He said that he knew I would read and research something over and over before i ever bought whatever it is that I plan on buying. He thought it was real funny because i do that ? I told him I just think it's smart doing things that way.
Just beware….any type of truck is hard to find right now let alone a good deal on one. Used are going for way more than they're worth. Some used pick ups selling for more than new. It's slim pickins out there. If you can wait, do it. 👍

Just beware….any type of truck is hard to find right now let alone a good deal on one. Used are going for way more than they're worth. Some used pick ups selling for more than new. It's slim pickins out there. If you can wait, do it. 👍
That's what I have been hearing. I have a 96 350F fully extended cab, 460/automatic.

Has a new factory motor and transmission in it. Still have the paper work from a Ford dealership proving the work was done. Runs, good, drives good, cold A.C. has around 50,000 mile on the new motor & tranny.

About all I have been doing with it for the past 5 years is pulling a 9 bale hay liner to move 3 or 400 bales of hay from the feild to a winter pasture.

How much would it be worth. Not too bad looking of a truck for its age, no rust, paint pretty good. Interior would clean up pretty good.

Wife put most of the miles that is on it pulling a 3 horse alumilite goose neck horse trailer.

Only reason for saling is we don't use it anymore.

That's what I have been hearing. I have a 96 350F fully extended cab, 460/automatic.

Has a new factory motor and transmission in it. Still have the paper work from a Ford dealership proving the work was done. Runs, good, drives good, cold A.C. has around 50,000 mile on the new motor & tranny.

About all I have been doing with it for the past 5 years is pulling a 9 bale hay liner to move 3 or 400 bales of hay from the feild to a winter pasture.

How much would it be worth. Not too bad looking of a truck for its age, no rust, paint pretty good. Interior would clean up pretty good.

Wife put most of the miles that is on it pulling a 3 horse alumilite goose neck horse trailer.

Only reason for saling is we don't use it anymore.

If it was diesel 10k easy. Gas, I'd say 5-7. But it seems like things are just going nuts, and you can just about name your price for a good truck.

Most good single axles will haul 20k# a tri-axle which is what it reads like you are describing is going to put you in the 17 ton range. Gonna be a newer really nice truck to be in the 4-500 hp range. Most of those farm quality trucks will be in the 200-325hp range. In VA with farm tags you don't need a CDL but not sure of the laws where you are. Allison auto trans is reliable and may serve you well as long as you aren't in big hill country.

I agree somewhere in the $10k range on the F350 give or take depending on condition.

Why are the price of used vehicle's high right now ?
Because you can't get new ones. Ford has 150,000 SuperDuty trucks complete that are sitting waiting for computer chips. Add in all the stimulus money, a booming economy, no one working, component shortages and you have the perfect storm. Overwhelming demand with low supply. It's a bad deal for anyone selling trucks (or truck equipment like myself). Freightliner has put their dealers on allocation for 2022. And it's not going away anytime soon.

Publicsurplus.com
Govplanet.com
May have to wait a bit but both have road depts that sell their equipment

If you are patient sometimes you can be lucky. I paid $1,600 CAD for this truck at auction. Don't remember what that was in USD at the time, seems like our dollar was worth more…. nonetheless, I have used this truck for quite a few years now with very minimal upkeep. Moral of the story is that good deals do actually happen time to time.
EACE0F77-6070-454D-A3F4-238AF5CE74C9.jpeg

Latest posts