Daihatsu Hijet HD Dump

Help Support CattleToday:

ClodHopper37869

Reaction score
Anyone uses one of these on the farm?? Daihatsu Hijet HD Dump – Made by Toyota
Or one of the other mini trucks?

I've driven a stick my whole life, but shifting one of them with my left hand would take some getting used to!

Wonder what the top speed is on one of those?

Friend of ours had one and drove it till it essentially fell apart. Definitely came in handy when he burned our pastures! At the time, finding parts was his biggest problem. Mr. TC looked at one, but they're not built for anyone over 6' (@cfpinz you wouldn't fit in it!).
1663849545667.jpeg

My closest Kubota dealer says they have not had an RTV w/ cab in a year or more! Ag Pro has a cab Gator $30+K.
Estimate to fix my RTV, $3000.00 to $6000.00

Will a fat 5' 11 1/2" fit, LOL
Friend of ours had one and drove it till it essentially fell apart. Definitely came in handy when he burned our pastures! At the time, finding parts was his biggest problem. Mr. TC looked at one, but they're not built for anyone over 6' (@cfpinz you wouldn't fit in it!).
View attachment 21443
Will a fat 5' 11 1/2" fit, LOL

I've driven a stick my whole life, but shifting one of them with my left hand would take some getting used to!

Wonder what the top speed is on one of those?
Apparently you have never owned/used an IH 74, 84, 85 series utility tractor. I'll get on a different tractor, grab the wrong liver and screw everything up. LOL

We have a Suzuki Carry.

Shifting with your left hand really isn't bad at all, just takes a little getting used to. The biggest annoyance is that you'll forget it's RHD and go to the wrong side to get in all the time.

It's pretty handy and capable with ATV tires. Not quite as good as a UTV but far better than a pickup and easier on the fields than a tractor. They fill that in-between role pretty well, more capable than a UTV but not as cumbersome as a pickup.

If you're much over 6', you'll have a hard time fitting in one. Not much leg room at all.

I have done all kinds of work to ours, clutches, two engines, front ends, you name it. Parts can be hard to get and they are expensive. We get most parts through G&R Imports. The transmission is pretty much shot now so it's just used now and then as a backup. I really wish we had gotten an automatic, I think it would hold up a lot better to constant starting and stopping, putting around fields and stuff.

The Suzuki engine in ours was used in a Jacobsen lawn mower and an Arctic Cat snowmobile, so you can get a few parts that way, but not many.

Ours has an auger feeder mounted sideways in the bed. It was already "outfitted" (wheels, big tires, brush guard, snorkel, etc.) and the dealer did a pretty poor job of it. I'd advise you to buy a stock one and source that stuff yourself, they just want it to look pretty and don't care how well it lasts.

They used to be a pretty good bargain but I see they have gone up in price a lot. Still not a bad deal though, 20k for a brand new 4x4 with heat/AC. Used ones can be had for less than 10. I think a UTV with heat, full cab, etc. is 20-30k.

Last edited:
We've had a couple of nasty accidents here from backpackers driving on the wrong side of the road (we drive on the left). Early this year 4 Korean girls were killed after a day fruit picking, they turned out onto the highway on the wrong side into a B Double, probably doing too much talking. A couple of years ago a local was killed when a backpacker drove on the wrong side pulling out onto the highway after a days farm work.

Ken

Latest posts