Dumb things I do.

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Well after running from a new cow/calf this morning I went to check the rest of the cows/calves. I hunted for 2 hours for a calf that I thought the flies had gotten to and the hair was slipping. I was sure I had saw something wrong yesterday. Also had one calf missing. Gave up and went to the other farms and checked everything thinking they would show up late in the evening. Went back and hunted another hour tonight before getting out my book to see which one's it could be. Still could not figure it out but then I noticed I had not marked out a calf that had died about a month ago. I was hunting for a calf that had been dead for over a month and one another that was nothing was wrong with. Must have seen a little afterbirth still on the tailhead as one of the cows had just calved yesterday.
:oops:
Got to pickup 15 heifers in the morning so I wonder what will go wrong tomorrow. Maybe I need someone to go along and watch after me. :dunce:

I'd be glad to volunteer for the job but I'm afraid we'd have to hire someone to watch over the two of us.

What went wrong today. Two trees decided to fall on the fence. Of course I needed some bbq wood so I guess this could have been a positive thing is you don't mind cutting and splitting firewood when its 95 degrees with 190% humidity.

Then there was the small issue with the pour on wormer. Don't ever leave the wormer hanging from something with the cap facing down even if it doesn't leak. I've learned that the 5 liter pour on wormer containers undoubtedly are designed to leak at night and not during the daylight hours. My medicine bill just went up today. I sure am glad my wife didn't see this or she might think I was less than perfect. :lol2:

Jogeephus":9e43t1pt said:
I'd be glad to volunteer for the job but I'm afraid we'd have to hire someone to watch over the two of us.

What went wrong today. Two trees decided to fall on the fence. Of course I needed some bbq wood so I guess this could have been a positive thing is you don't mind cutting and splitting firewood when its 95 degrees with 190% humidity.

Then there was the small issue with the pour on wormer. Don't ever leave the wormer hanging from something with the cap facing down even if it doesn't leak. I've learned that the 5 liter pour on wormer containers undoubtedly are designed to leak at night and not during the daylight hours. My medicine bill just went up today. I sure am glad my wife didn't see this or she might think I was less than perfect. :lol2:

Ooops. 5 liters of generic or 5 liters of name brand. Name brand leaks faster than generic, of course.
Firewood warms you twice, dontchaknow. :lol2:

kenny thomas":2z1h28j6 said:
Well after running from a new cow/calf this morning I went to check the rest of the cows/calves. I hunted for 2 hours for a calf that I thought the flies had gotten to and the hair was slipping. I was sure I had saw something wrong yesterday. Also had one calf missing. Gave up and went to the other farms and checked everything thinking they would show up late in the evening. Went back and hunted another hour tonight before getting out my book to see which one's it could be. Still could not figure it out but then I noticed I had not marked out a calf that had died about a month ago. I was hunting for a calf that had been dead for over a month and one another that was nothing was wrong with. Must have seen a little afterbirth still on the tailhead as one of the cows had just calved yesterday.
:oops:
Got to pickup 15 heifers in the morning so I wonder what will go wrong tomorrow. Maybe I need someone to go along and watch after me. :dunce:

Kenny, that sounds like my checkbook :oops: .

Larry

Went to pick up the 15 heifers this morning and it was too wet to get up a hill from the lot to the road. We hooked a 12ft bumper hitch trailer to a tractor(2 wheel drive) and loaded 8 on it. Got almost to the top of the hill and they shifted to the back of the trailer. Tractor lost traction and back down the hill we went. Hooked an old chevy truck to the front of the tractor and that time both the tractor and the truck went backwards down the hill. Finally had to unload them and reload 5 at a time in the front half of the trailer. Three trips later I was loaded. What should have taken about 15 minutes took almost 1 1/2 hours.
Got 2 bulls to load in the morning and need to buy at least 15 calves tomorrow so I wonder what will go wrong.
I almost forgot, Friday when I picked up the pet cow (from the other post) we had to use a D-6 cat to build a road to the loadout.
Ain't cattle trading fun! :cowboy:

Backwards down the hill means one thing to me here in the foothills. I expect it means another thing entirely up there in the mountains.
At least you're home. :cowboy:

your just having normal days on the farm.but your lucky that you didnt stick the tractor an trailer moving heifers.cattle trading is always fun.

Thought about this post today after I sprinted across the field to catch my truck. I forgot to put it in park while working on the fence. :oops:

Really honey, I could have sworn I put the tractor in 1st gear "forward". Sure nice of you to get the tractor bucket out of the barn wall for me. At least the barn isn't hurt too bad. :oops:
Valerie

vclavin":2i465gno said:
Really honey, I could have sworn I put the tractor in 1st gear "forward". Sure nice of you to get the tractor bucket out of the barn wall for me. At least the barn isn't hurt too bad. :oops:
Valerie
That could be funny, BUT, a previous owner of this farm was killed when he got run over by the tractor that his better halfr had thought she put in reverse.

We have done some doozies. I have a knack for looking out the kitchen window at just the right time to catch my better half with something going on he would rather keep to himself. Not that I razz him or anything. This was years ago - I glanced out and the pickup was lurching across the yard aimed right at the propane tank and no one was in it or around it. I ran out and hollered for him, he came running and hopped along beside it and unhooked the battery just in time. The rest of the story - he had cleaned the interior with the power washer (stripped down model - no carpet, etc.). Apparently after he finished and walked away some water had dripped into the switch on the dash that was used to start it. (Ignition switch went out and he didn't want to tear into the column). It was in granny gear and wouldn't start anyway without the clutch in, but the starter was turning over and moving it along.........

Another time, him and his buddy were burning some stuff and stood by their fire having a cold one and "watching the fire". I looked out the window that time to see a bale of hay in the corral right behind them on fire. Guess they weren't watching very close, huh??