Dumb question of the day...

Help Support CattleToday:

texanstraders

Reaction score
Was giving some Banamine and a shot of Draxxin today to a small calf. She's squirmy and I was alone. Got the Banamine in the neck area fine. Rather than let loose of her and switch sides, I grabbed a tent over the left hip area by the butt and put the antibiotic sub-q there. Then I got to thinking, I really should have put that in the neck too. Did I loose that dose?

If you got it under the skin, you didn't loose it. The reason for injecting in the neck is any possible carcass trim required due to an injection site blemish will be removing less valuable meat in the neck as opposed to the round (hip).

On a baby, it probably won't make a lot of trim difference especially if it didn't get into the muscle.

Your question has been answered but I just thought I would add a tip for a squirmy calf. I spent years trying to hold the calf and give the shot, not easy when the calf weighs as much as you do. Then I got a calf halter. Throw the halter on and the calf 99/100 will pull back on the rope and it is super easy to do neck injections. Just something I had never thought of doing before and wish I had been doing for years. I now spend calving with a rope calf halter always in my pocket. Great for tagging and weighing too.