Dumb question I guess. Can I use burdizzos on a tomcat?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
About 1 1/2 years old. Sucker sits on the front porch and squalls non-stop everytime anyone goes out there. He ain't real tame--I'd have to catch him in a net and stuff his head in a rubber boot..Thought maybe castration would calm him down some.
Yes--no--bad idea?

greybeard":13eni67i said:
About 1 1/2 years old. Sucker sits on the front porch and squalls non-stop everytime anyone goes out there. He ain't real tame--I'd have to catch him in a net and stuff his head in a rubber boot..Thought maybe castration would calm him down some.
Yes--no--bad idea?

Good idea but probably tuff to execute. Please hire a video crew to get it on tape for us to see if you decide to go ahead with the project!

It's easiest to do if you apply some tranquilizer first, it's a real easy dose to give even the wildest of cats. Simply insert a piece of lead between the eyes or in the heart. Once the Tom has stopped moving then you can safely do the procedure. If it were me I would just complete the other two steps of the triple S's.

Told my wife of my plan. Her: "What if that chops them off and he bleeds out?"
Me: "What's the downside to that?"

He looks so cute and innocent huh?
qvsd.jpg

1flq.jpg

Okay, plan B. catch him up and haul him to a vet ..... Bite the bullet a suggested using and open up the wallet a little.

Sorry little shyte has a dark side tho. Snarls and makes that bis "HISSS! everytime anyone walks out of the house, then gives ya one of these:
4z08.jpg

Here kitty kitty kitty..... I got sumpthin for your snarlin little butt..

fz7e.jpg

One of the (now) funniest things I've ever watched was my granddad and uncle get half drunk and try to shove a tomcat into a boot and cut him. They got it done but only after the cat had got back out of the boot and made it up over my uncles shoulder and down his back with him hanging on for dear life and my granddad sawing away. :lol: Thanks for the memories. Make sure you post video. ;-)

cat hasn't been seen in 3 days & nights--I think it has up and r-u-n-n-o-f-t. Good riddance as far as I'm concerned.

it had a premonition maybe..

Stays around here usually disappear from lead poisoning. The quail and turkey population take a hit when the strays say too long

greybeard":2p6ww4qj said:
cat hasn't been seen in 3 days & nights--I think it has up and r-u-n-n-o-f-t. Good riddance as far as I'm concerned.

He's a tom and off doing what he knows best . If he has not been killed he will be back, but each time they disappear they don't come back looking any prettier . ;-)
He also has an eye infection which could be from lots I diseases that he should have been vaccinated for .

Also judging by his coat and lack of scarring on the ears , I doubt he is more than 10 months old .

You have to figure out a way to stuff him into a plastic pipe - 4" might be too small, maybe 6" ? - and put a castrating ring on him.

That's what I had planned for one mean tom cat that came around once. But the piece of lead was a lot easier and saved me from any potential scarring.

Cats and dogs need to be cut not banded or anything else. We see some of these attempted neuterings at the vet I work for and it doesn't work well for them (usually massive infection and high $). There are some spay/neuter clinics around the country that neuter feral/outside cats for free though.

Feral cats caught in a live trap is about $12 to get fixed (male), $14 for females... and the vet notches the ear

Feral cat tamed down and brought into the vet in a nice carrier = $80 at the vet and no notched ear

Vet also gives them the feline rabies shot and something else as part of the deal.

DO NOT attempt to castrate the cat yourself -- if you would like to I'd like you to first try getting the little bugger to take a pill... and after you pick yourself back up off the ground, provided you can still see because your eyes haven't been scratched out, go pick up the phone and call the vet after he is in a live trap :nod:

greybeard":3n4kijlc said:

Might have overheard you and the misses discussing his pending surgery and decided to make one last night on the town before he becomes a eunuch.

Latest posts