Dumb and dead

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Went to one of the leases today to spot spray the lantana and a head count came up 2 short. Found one down in a bog that used to have water. But with this drought is mud. She was dead and mud half way up her belly.
Found the other one right before we left after looking for hours as I sprayed.
Coughing repeatedly, head down, and bagged out tight. Of course I don't have any meds with me. Ill run back tomorrow, catch her up and give her some resflor. That is if calving doesn't kill her and/or the calf.
Sure glad I got them insured.
Did find some good news. The tiger stripe calved out a good looking smoky colored bull calf. And a bwf calved out a beautiful bwf heifer.

Is she a wiz poor cow, or is it a far trip to treat her, cuz For a live cow and calf I think at what she and baby is worth I'd drive back and treat her. Just me tho.

Hour each way. Couple hours won't matter one way or another. She's bad enough to treat but not bad enough to worry that much about over night. Ill catch her first thing in the morning.

You need to put some t-post in a circle around that bog and run around it with a strand of loose wire before you lose more.

Went over this morn and roped her on the run on the 3rd throw.from a quad. Not bad for a hobby guy inbred. :cowboy: :roll:
Anyway, dosed her with resflor, gave her a shot of ivermec for good measure, and turned her loose. Then fenced around the worst of the mud bog. Forgot to get any pictures of the tiger. Sorry.

hooknline":l54m0qte said:
Went over this morn and roped her on the run on the 3rd throw.from a quad. Not bad for a hobby guy inbred. :cowboy: :roll:
Anyway, dosed her with resflor, gave her a shot of ivermec for good measure, and turned her loose. Then fenced around the worst of the mud bog. Forgot to get any pictures of the tiger. Sorry.
You roped a cow, from a 4-wheeler? What did you dally to?

hooknline":vfys2s8m said:
I knew a guy that did that, from a tractor. It did not turn out well. Bye bye fenderlights, dash throttle lever, exh pipe and muffler, hood lights and he bare got off before the rope pinned him against the fender.
Cows can run a circle too. :lol2:

Do you bury the dead ones Hook?

southernblues":37ut9vco said:
This thread is useless without a video of that...;)
I disagree, I think there is more than one important lesson to be learned from this thread.

Besides doing what needed to be done with what I had to work with to te best of my abilities, I'd like to hear what the lesson is

hooknline":3bn9ptz0 said:
Besides doing what needed to be done with what I had to work with to te best of my abilities, I'd like to hear what the lesson is

Don't poke that hive... we'll all get the Cattle Babying 101 lecture. :roll: I just hope your better than you pretend to be with that rope and know your cattle. Every one ties on to one eventually that they wish they hadn't.

I once roped an emu from the mule. Kind of turned out to be one of those how do I let go in time to not get hurt lessons

It wasn't bad roping her. Dead eye drove, I threw and once it was on i jumped off an ran it around the tree. Dead eye peeled off once I was off and out of the way. Maybe I should put a saddle on the quad.
I'd still like to know what the perfect people would have done on 200 acres of stub, woods, grass and trees better than what I did. Them being perfect and all.

Latest posts