Due Date Question

Help Support CattleToday:

gildehbc

Reaction score
New to the AI process and I have this scenario.....we AI'd 10 head on May 10th and then turned the bull out on May 20th.....so our projected due date was Feb 16th....I witnessed 1 bull bred on June 7th so all along was thinking we may have beat the odds and had 9 AI bred.....to date we have had 7 that have calved and called AI calves.....the remaining two look to be very close (they are cows)......how long past the projected due date would do most of you go before you make the call??? to determine if they are AI calves or early bull bred calves?? Looking for rule of thumbs not interested in DNA.....Thanks for any guidance any of you may have......

About 10 days would be my call. That's put it about half way between the the probable bull date and the AI date.

I agree with Dun. I'd also go by calf size, if the calf is small it is likely a bull sired calf (thus early for bull date versus late for AI date). If the calf is 10 days post AI due date and big for the average ai sired calves, it is likely a late AI calf.

You would have to use DNA to know for sure..I don't even think you can use a rule of thumb. We've had them 3 weeks early, and 3 weeks late. A week early and 90+ pounds, and a couple weeks late in the 70s. Just all over the board. If you really want to be sure without running DNA, I highly recommend blood testing or ultrasound. We use ultrasound.

Thank for your replies and comments.....the final two cows calved out on 2/18 and 2/20. We are AI breeding for replacements and caught a break this time....six heifers and three bulls.....Thanks again...

Latest posts