Speedway question

Help Support CattleToday:

Col Reb

Reaction score
If the dam is out of rampage & the sire is speedway, would you use offspring on heifers? Rampage is not a low birthweight bull I know but how much weight does the dam carry on offspring? The combo would make for some great momma cows with the only 2 questionable epd's being birthweight & docility. Speedway goes back to objective which is a low number on docility(4) & rampage is low(-2 i think)but speedway is decent(14). Or is this a recipe for a barn burner? Docility is important on my little farm. However, I'm still hand feeding & around them often. Planning on retaining heifers in the future. I'm currently running an upward bull which is gentle. Input would be very helpful.

I've experienced generational skipping on behavior. More power to you if you want to experiment but I have already witnessed enough to not need another lesson.

Ebenezer said:
I've experienced generational skipping on behavior. More power to you if you want to experiment but I have already witnessed enough to not need another lesson.

Thank you for the response. I was afraid that would be the answer. Would probably be a good looking bull but trouble on my end.

I'd use semen on a bull with low docility (because I don't have to handle him) rather than have a cow with a bad attitude... If your cows are calm that goes a long way to teaching the calf to be calm too

I would say it could go either way. If you are willing to cull disposition outliers from entering your herd you will be fine. Personally I have a hard time willingly multiplying known problems. Sometimes the Generational skip will cause frustrations. I would think the Angus breed has enough options to avoid a known pitfall.

We had zero issues with our Rampage calves and retained females. Nada. None. I think alot has to do with your handling of them. Some has to do with the cows and docility in them.

Now, you can't pet many of our cows but they come to feed and are calm and happy. However, we have coyotes by the 100's and she has to defend thar calf. If she loses it for any reason, she hits the road.

hornedfrogbbq said:
We had zero issues with our Rampage calves and retained females. Nada. None. I think alot has to do with your handling of them. Some has to do with the cows and docility in them.

Now, you can't pet many of our cows but they come to feed and are calm and happy. However, we have coyotes by the 100's and she has to defend thar calf. If she loses it for any reason, she hits the road.

You now have the opportunity to see how calves from the daughters carry the genes. That was my issue. Do I want to have another problem to cull in years to come. I hope that it will not happen for you.

I have a small herd also (26 cows) and also feed them grain daily. I consider my cows nice and quiet and the vet also comments on their docile attitude when he is there. I have used bulls with less than ideal docility numbers because I liked other EPD numbers. I have found out that regardless how docile the rest of the herd is, those calves are a pain in the a** when in comes time to run them through the chute. I have not kept any back as replacements because of that. Maybe you will have better luck.

I have no personal experience with Rampage but numerous reports indicate he was appropriately named.
However, we have coyotes by the 100's and she has to defend thar calf.
I've heard that comment for decades & IMO its hog wash. The last thing I want is a cow who can't distinguish me from a predator. YMMV.

76 Bar said:
I have no personal experience with Rampage but numerous reports indicate he was appropriately named.
However, we have coyotes by the 100's and she has to defend thar calf.
I've heard that comment for decades & IMO its hog wash. The last thing I want is a cow who can't distinguish me from a predator. YMMV.
2 legs good, 4 legs bad!
I have the same standard for my cows.. I have one that's a total suck-hole for attention, but she's got the attitude to put a stomping on something wild.. Just before calving season a few years ago she was on the wrong side of the fence in the field, BOTTOM 2 barbed wires were broken, only way I can ever see a cow doing that is if she had her head down and was chasing something
She's a stout girl

1) I used Rampage on a LH cow that was pretty laid back. When he was weaned I could scratch him, etc. When he was 16 mos he tried to smoke my rear end.
2) I have a cow that I really, really like, but has Objective in the pedigree. She's really good about almost everything, but does not really do the trailer anymore-or at all. I had a bull out of her last year that I liked better than the bull I kept, but I kept the one bull b/c of the dam of the other. He was out of Millbar Hickok, who has a DOC of +34 last time I checked. The calf was pretty ok in groups, but alone he'd get a bit squirly. The bull we kept is fine by himself and when in with the cows.

It's my wife and I doing everything and neither of us are willing to get hurt. If it was me, I would not use Rampage on a cow that is a bit wacky. I would not use him on any cow in reality.

Bestoutwest said:
It's my wife and I doing everything and neither of us are willing to get hurt. If it was me, I would not use Rampage on a cow that is a bit wacky. I would not use him on any cow in reality.
Yeah, I'm a one man show with small herd, like y'all.
Somewhat aggravating to do a search in
ABC for everything that meets an awesome all around sire & rampage always is at the top of the list but from what I've heard just like someone said before, I think his name fits. May try something different like Hickok or Front & Center. Their numbers look good & hits the docility score, too. Thanks for the opinions.

An old fellow told me something to remember, or so I thought - "The best way to get out of trouble is to not get into trouble".

Latest posts