Drying up single udders.

Help Support CattleToday:

Medic24

Reaction score
Hey all, been a while eh?

Well, My long time pet cow, the one I favor over all the many others that have come and gone, once again is producing way to much milk for even the 3 calves we have on her...yes it's true, and they won't touch the two rear teets as they hang sooo much lower then the front two........not to mention that they are so much smaller then the front....not much bigger then half a thumb.

I have been hand milking this Jersey/ Holstien cross now for a couple of months, and well,it's no longer feesable.

She is also getting some pre-mastitis symptoms in those two udders that I have kept a close eye on so that it has never progressed beyond that...thank goodness..........

But any how, was thinking of taking the advice from internet and a dairy farmer here to just permenantly dry up her rear two udders by infusing 120 ml of 5 percent iodine..........seems to work much better then the clorahaxidine remedy...has anyone done this, and if so, what were the results?

Thanks!

Medic24":iqahwaaw said:
Hey all, been a while eh?

Well, My long time pet cow, the one I favor over all the many others that have come and gone, once again is producing way to much milk for even the 3 calves we have on her...yes it's true, and they won't touch the two rear teets as they hang sooo much lower then the front two........not to mention that they are so much smaller then the front....not much bigger then half a thumb.

I have been hand milking this Jersey/ Holstien cross now for a couple of months, and well,it's no longer feesable.

She is also getting some pre-mastitis symptoms in those two udders that I have kept a close eye on so that it has never progressed beyond that...thank goodness..........

But any how, was thinking of taking the advice from internet and a dairy farmer here to just permenantly dry up her rear two udders by infusing 120 ml of 5 percent iodine..........seems to work much better then the clorahaxidine remedy...has anyone done this, and if so, what were the results?

Thanks!
since you say she has mastitis in 2 back teats id say sale her.but you want to treat her.so id hit her heavy an i mean heavy with something like today.an what i call heavy is a tube in ea teat twice a day for 3 or 4 days.then id dry those teats of for this yr.an see what they look like when she calves back.

Just a cow that you milk out by hand or let the calves suck on her, I'd just leave the 2 teats alone, and see what they do, if it doesn't affect her, doesn't make her go off feed, or get sick, they can take care of themselves. I have never injected anything up a quarter that I drop for mastitis reasons, and in a few weeks the quarter goes down to nothing, and is done.

GMN

If she has multiple udders you probably should dry one of them off.

I haven't used iodine before, but if it's anything like using chlorhexidine, you'll probably get a strong inflammatory reaction that really causes more problems than it solves. If it does work though, it will kill those quarters completely, and they'll never lactate again.

Strong iodine into those two light quarters will often kill them completely. I'd infuse each with a mastitus tube and let those calves nurse..cut back on her feed some. That should cut back on the milk production. If you just don't want to mess with those back quarters, infuse them with 50 cc's of strong iodine and then put a castrating band on each...the tit will drop off eventually and be nice and smooth.

Latest posts