Drought

Help Support CattleToday:

Beef11

Reaction score
I was curious how the drought situation is going in Texas as of now? I heard yall got some rain? Things looking up? or Rough year ahead?

I got 1.5 inches at my house. 8 tenths at my lease place. need more but I have started seeing some wintergrass comeing up. Chance of rain tommorrow. Still dangerous around here.

Scotty

It rained an inch and a half at the house but only half of that down on the pastures, 20 miles away or so. Locally, we have broken all records. I'll have to get pictures of dead cactus and post them. It is really that bad. Perhaps it will be a good year to wipe out Misquites and other brush. We'll be fine at some point. There are several things in our favor including that fact that this drought is localized. If it was as widespread as it was in the 80's, our cows would be worthless. There are a lot of lessons learned. #1 I sold excellent hay in June and am paying three times as much now for average hay. That won't happen again. I planted lots of wheat and oats and pretty much lost it all. Next time I will irrigate. I just didn't think it could possibly go on for as long as it has.

When I got up this mornng, news said rain clouds thoughout my area.

Nothing where I live. I did go out and cut cedars all day at the property. At daylight the ground was moist enough not to dust up while I drove in. After 8:00 the ground was just as dry as yesterday

They said the humidity is so low that the rain evaporated before it hit the ground.

Forcast rain this weekend. I sure hope so.

we got almost 2in of rain.but its so dry it just sucked it up.will take more than that to break this drought.but it helps.

At least we got off of the 7 percent humidity, 30 MPH sustained winds with 40 MPH gust, fires 2 miles west, 3 miles north, and a huge one 6 miles south, scenario. If you needed something sand blasted, you could have just put it out in the pasture, and we're not in "West Texas".

As my cows were walking through the pasture, all the topsoil was dust and blew away at each step. That has stopped with the little rain we received and the winds have finally laid. I haven't smelt brush/grass fire all week.

Even though the rain evaporated before it hit the ground, it is keeping the humidity up.

I was reading the mud/muck posts and half wondering if those folks weren't dumping salt in the wound. Rocksprings didn't notate it "no one in our area has that problem" this time, but I sure as heck was thinking it. (refer to the loose fence post dialogue where the guy has a spring 3 feet below ground)

This year we are doing okay. Have hay in the the barn. will do the normal 10 percent cull. Next year could be a issue. But I don't overstock my land. been here before, that said next year if things are not better. looking at a 20 to 25 cull rate.

Hoping for Spring grass, for use and the farmers that he buy the hay for winter form. Just cowboy up and good Mgmnt planning should help.

We had a total of one inch yesterday here in south central OK. That's not enough to break the drought, but maybe it's a sign the weather pattern is changing. Temperature is expected to go up to 70 later in the week. If the winds come back, and they will, that inch will just be a fond memory by the end of the week.

News Desk

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Texas ag groups ask for federal drought assistance
FORT WORTH, Texas, January 24, 2006—Texas livestock producers suffering from the effects of prolonged drought and reacting to predictions that it may last into summer are making an uncharacteristic plea for government assistance.
In a Jan. 24 letter to the White House, Secretary of Agriculture and members of the Texas Congressional delegation, leaders of Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association, Texas Cattle Feeders Association and the Texas Farm Bureau described the dire circumstances that threaten the Texas cattle industry.
Many parts of Texas in 2005 received the lowest amount of rainfall since the great drought of the 1950s, providing tinder for a devastating series of wildfires that have consumed more than 219,000 acres, destroying fences, barns and homes. News reports have chronicled the heart-rending loss of human life.
"Numbers of cattle injured or killed by fire are difficult to obtain," the letter said, "but we are convinced the number may have exceeded 1,000."
Producers who normally don't have to provide supplemental feed for their cattle until winter were forced to begin feeding hay in the early autumn. Increased demand has diminished hay supplies and pushed prices to triple what they were in August.
To conserve forage, producers began marketing calves earlier than normal, selling at lighter weights that cost them millions of dollars. As the impact of drought escalated, many were also forced to sell brood cows that normally would not go to market. Reports from market operators indicate that a significant number of pregnant cows are now being sold.
"This scaling back of the state's brood cow herd will have long-term impacts on ranchers, local communities, feedyards and the state's economy as it shrinks the cattle industry's contribution to the state's economic output for the foreseeable future," the letter said.
Texas Cooperative Extension estimates that agriculture contributes more than $73 billion a year to the Texas economy as products move from the farm to the consumer.
"Out of principle, our organizations are historically reluctant to ask for help," the letter continued, "but our industry faces dire straits. Consequently, we ask Congress and the Administration to seriously consider the following tools to provide assistance:
1) Livestock Compensation Program (LCP) / Livestock Assistance Program (LAP). We request one of these programs be funded at amounts significant enough to provide all cattle producers in eligible counties with assistance to buffer the economic strain from high feed costs.
2) Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP). Some ranchers impacted by range fires have lost entire cattle herds. We request this program be funded and available to producers because of losses of cattle due to drought and fire.
3) Emergency Conservation Program (ECP). We ask that ECP funds be made available to Texas producers to assist them with rebuilding fences and structures burned down by range fires. In addition, we ask that this funding be utilized for providing water for livestock on ranches with diminished water supplies.
4) Emergency Watershed Protection Program (EWP). We request this program be funded and available in Texas to restore the natural function of impacted watersheds through such measures as: erosion control, fire prevention and suppression, and vegetation restoration.
5) Emergency Haying and Grazing. The majority of Texas that is being hit the hardest with drought and range fires does not have substantial acres of CRP. However, we are very grateful for actions taken by USDA to allow haying and grazing in Texas counties that have adequate CRP acres in order to assist parts of the state that have been hardest hit. Understandably, we expect CRP payments to be reduced by an appropriate amount as recommended by the NRCS state technical committee and USDA agencies.
6) We ask that the appropriate disaster declarations be put in place to allow producers to qualify for the capital gains tax exemption on cattle that have to be sold off due to the drought and fire conditions.
"To put it simply," the ag leaders summarized, "the Texas cattle industry is in serious distress and there is no relief in sight."

It doesn't look good. :(

season_drought.gif
[/img]

My family's farm is in extreme northwest Louisiana. We've gotten about 9 inches of rain for the month of January, so we're not doing awful right now. However, we have to have follow up rains in February and March to get us out of the drought. If it weren't for Hurricane Rita, we would've had only 2 inches of rain for August-Dec 31st '05.

We were in really bad shape long before Rita. Rita was originally forecast to come through the middle of us. We were overjoyed. It went east instead. That left us dry all the way until last Sunday when the farm picked up about 5/8". Friday night into Saturday a.m. we got 2 3/8 inches, which gave us 3 inches total for the week. It didn't do much for stock tanks but atleast the topsoil might quit blowing away.

i have been watching the news, and my heart hurts for you all, i sure hope you get the rain you need to green up your pastures and grow the hay you need for winter, its so hard to deal with proublems like that ,that are out of your control. we'll say a "farmer prayer for you all" and hopfully you'll get rain that will soak in and build up your ponds... Rose

Two more inches last night all ponds full going out the emergency overflows, pasture drainage systems running hard. Man last couple of weeks have been great 6 1/2 inches.

I've had 4 showers over the last two weeks, totaling 2.3 inches. Not enough to raise the water level in the ponds but it sure has helped the clover and winter grass to green up. Hay is still being rationed all around but at least now there will be a little bit of green stuff for the cows to try to get their teeth on. I've seen a few ryegrass plots that seem to have exploded with growth in the last two weeks, with the rain, lengthening days and mild temperatures.

Latest posts