Drought

Help Support CattleToday:

I was talking to a dairy farmer the other day, he said "it's so dry my cows are giving powered milk".

It was funny..... but then again..... it's really not that funny.

It's truly awful here in central Texas. The old benchmark that everybody used to talk about was 1957. Everybody that can remember it says it's worse now. We have trees dying. Even the cedars are showing stress to the point where I almost feel sorry for them. Oats and wheat never came up. We have moved cattle off two places because the stock tanks went dry, watering from the well on another. About to have to move them back to one place and water them through the meter. Hate to do it but there is still a lot of good dead grass there, except for about 70 acres that burned in one of the many fires this area has had. This part of the country never gets a lot of rain in the summer but we've had less than 4" since the last day of March. It's bad.

You know it's bad when the ranchers start to feel sorry of the cedar trees! Good time to cut some stays.

:p

I just looked at the 10 day forecast on weather.com for my zipp code and they are showing a chance of rain for each of the next ten days. Saw one 70% and some 40% and 30%'s, reguardless what they are it's just good to see at least a chance of rain in our forecat. :help: Hopefully we get something out of this. :D

I sure was sorry to read of your family's losses to fire Craig --- wasn't it your grandparent's place that burned a few weeks ago, grass and hay bales?

I drove up to Dallas last week and sure saw a lot of bone dry stock ponds along the way, as well as a lot of cedars that looked like they were on their last leg --- especially between Corsicana and Ennis.

Weather guessers are talking up our chances for rain over the next 4 days as being pretty good and I sure hope they are right. At least we have all had some incredibly mild weather (temperatures, that is) so far this "winter".

Thanks AZ. That must have been another fire. We had one on my granddad's home place a few years ago but it was from a line being down after a car hit a pole. A neighbor had somebody set fire to one of his hay lots. He lost a few dozen rolls. Next day he had the whole family moving hay to another place closer to where he lives so they could keep a watch over it. Those round bales smoldered for a week.

We actually stand a pretty good chance for rain this Sunday night. The forecasts have been drying up as the rains get closer but so far this one is holding at 70%. There are a couple more decent chances later next week. We won't know how to act if it starts raining. Lot's of folks praying, there will be lot's of folks giving thanks.

Arnold Ziffle":2ntwhe8z said:
I sure was sorry to read of your family's losses to fire Craig --- wasn't it your grandparent's place that burned a few weeks ago, grass and hay bales?

I think that was Sidney411's grandparents.....

G&L Cattle":2fkf08pb said:
Rain Rain Rain!!!!

Hallelujah!!!

Glen&LindaWells

Started about 1 AM and has not stoped yet. I looked at the rain guage and we have gotten about an inch. Nice slow rain. The best.

Scotty

Lots of lightening early AM, not enough on the ground to wet under my truck.

No wind, very cloudy and hazy. Maybe the afternoon will produce something

Ew Talltinter, I'm sorry to hear that...I have puddles out here. Been raining good for most of he night, and all morning, and I'm in old Washington, not too far from you. Frankly, I'm doing the "Happy Dance" out here! :lol:

I'm proud to say we got 1.3" last night and today. And I'll take this opportunity to publicly thank the Good Lord for it.

4.5 inches today here in Benton (northwest LA)... got 2 inches earlier this week... and a small shower Friday night... so that's 7 inches for the week, a good start to say the least! We did have a 20 inch deficit for the past 12 months so we still need some follow up rains.

Not to drop a turd in the punch boil, but just as 1 swallow doesn;t make a summer, 1 or 2 inches of rain doesn;t break a drought.
After 2 more or less normal years in a row (untill this one) the previous drought wasn;t broken. Just somewhat mitigated the damage.

dun

Latest posts