Drought

Help Support CattleToday:

dun is right.but 2in of rain sure makes you feel better though.my cows have been out in the pasture chasing anything the last few days.

dun":1wvuuj7a said:
Not to drop a turd in the punch boil, but just as 1 swallow doesn;t make a summer, 1 or 2 inches of rain doesn;t break a drought.
After 2 more or less normal years in a row (untill this one) the previous drought wasn;t broken. Just somewhat mitigated the damage.

dun

This drought is nowhere near broken. We had a wet winter last year but it was just a joke. Turned off on April fools day. It's going to take a lot more rain to even contemplate getting any runoff. But it's a start. Lots of pretty good sized calves had never seen rain till now. Let's hope it keeps up.

AZ - That was my grandparents place that burned.

We got about an inch over the weekend. I sure won't complain about that, but it's still not near enough to do much if any good here.

Sorry about that, Sidney. I hope your grandparents were able to make alternate arrangements for pasture & hay without too much trouble.

I got .85" yesterday and about .6" one day last week. Need a lot more but at least that's a start, at long last! I sure did enjoy riding my tractor out in the rain yesterday while hauling bales to the gals, even if I did get soaked and a little chilly.

Sounds like most folks in central and east Texas, as well as in La., got some rain out of this system. I've got a lot of tiny clover and "Texas winter grass" seedlings that had sprouted but that were just about gonners, but now with some moisture maybe they'll perk up and put on a bit of growth. I'm sure those folks with ryegrass fields that had not yet died out are thrilled to get this moisture. But we'll need a lot more to actually see some pooling of water in the dry tanks & ponds. Good luck to everybody and thank you, Lord.

The burn ban here is serious. They tossed a welder in jail outside of Tolar for setting a pasture ablaze. 5/8" rain came down and it was the first serious water for months. It is the absolute worst it has ever been here on record. Heck, Fort Worth got lots of rain this year we didn't get and they are in terrible shape too. Sis-in-law called once from Mansfield celebrating and had to tell her we got nothing here. She couldn't believe it.

Prickly pear has dried up and died. Some one was telling me back in the 50's they burned the needles off of it to feed cattle. There's two problems there. Number one is that the stuff is dead in the first place and number two is the burn ban.

I was feeling pretty proud of my 3/4 of an inch until I heard my neighbors 10 miles away got 2.5 inches and some got 3.5 inches over the weekend. Now, I'm so embarassed about 3/4 of an inch that it took me until today to post it.

My banker says I just got to out last it. That's what I love about cattlemen - perpetual optimists. :cboy:

Latest posts