Drought

Help Support CattleToday:

Bret

Reaction score
I talked to a customer in Texas yesterday afternoon by telephone. She said that due to the drought there is a burn ban that even prohibits the use of an outside grill in her area. She also said that some lakes and reservoirs are being shut down to boats due to low water levels.

This is not new to those of you who are experiencing it but it moved my awarenss to a deeper level. It has made me appreciate mud. Hang in there everybody.

I was in Ft Worth last week and they're having fires everywhere. A group of us went to lunch and when we came back to our hotel there were fire trucks all over the parking lot. There was grass fire that had come right up to the pavement there at the Holiday Inn on North Meachum. As we were approaching the hotel it looked like the hotel was on fire. They got it out pretty quick.

We had four inches of rain here in middle Tennessee yesterday. I wish we could have sent those folks about half of it. I sure do hate to see them in such a bad shape. We were there in Ft Worth for a Texas Longhorn heifer sale and for the affiliate presidents' meeting as well as the association general membership meeting. I asked a friend down there where was her husband and she told me that he had to stay home and guard the hay-either it may catch on fire or else someone will steal it because it's in such short supply.

I do really feel for everyone who is going through this. A few years ago we had the same thing here. It was illegal for any burning. We had no crop one year and I'll never forget the crop insurance guy who came out and laughed, saying he had never seen a field so bad. I just couldn't believe he laughed. :mad:
Although our flood last year cause havoc on everything here we really needed the water table to get back up and I was so thankful to see the grass and fields growing again.

It's a hard time for the people and the animals and you are all in my prayers.

Had a pretty good sprinkle at the house the other day and even though if didn't even settle the dust it sure was welcome. Hopefully we will get some relief soon.

Ain't it bad how we have to look at someone elses misfortune to make us realize maybe we don't have it so bad.

Thanks for your kind words.

My brother in law sent a driver with a load of hay toward Dallas at the beginning of the week. Driver said it is horrible. He has no cow or crop sense but knew it was way past serious.

Also said he had the window down for a while. But had to put it up and turn on the air on the KW.

I've been trying to send ya'll some of my rain. But Fed Ex won't haul it. :roll:

I know my GOD is able to turn this thing around!

Prayin' and Believin' right along with ya'!

Had 1/10 of an inch earlier this week and it still didn't settle the dust. It's gonna take a gully washer to help things out around here, but I know one's just around the corner!

What blows me away is even though there is a very well publicized(sp) burn ban that states no barbecues, no welding w/o permission, no burning of any kind there are still those who insist on burning trash in their back yards.

Wow, Sorry for your weather everyone.

Up Here in Canada, we are having -33 C one day and then +6 another. it is realy weird and today it was noted that we had almost every type of precipitation - Rain, Freezing Rain, and Snow the only thing not their was Ice Pellets.

I'm hoping you get rain soon. Maybe Snow!! Tahts extremly unlikely but is is something wet.

Maybe I could ship some of our snow or ice down your way!

Melissa

Thanks to all for your concerns and prayers. Waco weatherman said today that it looked like some more rain friendly weather changes could be brewing. Sure hope he's right.

Regards to all

Brock

Glad I had 2 stock tanks dug last year,one is very very low but the other might hold out till we get some rain. Separated all my round bales the other day and spread them around the property in case of a fire. Sure would hate to lose it all. Thanks to all who have showed concern for those of us in a bad way.

Same in our area.

Was heading home after clearing cedars and saw a huge smoke cloud half way home. I counted 15 emergency vehicles going that way.

Weatherman this morning said we might get 1/2" Sunday. Keeping my fingers crossed, toes, arms, hair and eyes.

i know its real bad here. the sprinkles help but the ground is so dry its gone fast.what we really need is a 20 inch gully washer soon. talked to a friend.an he said if his pools went dry he is selling out.an emory is selling close to 5000hd a wk.not counting their 2 other sale barns.

The wildfires are what has us most concerned now; it'll rain sometime, always has. Last week we sat down at the dinner table and realized our yard was full of smoke. We got very excited, grabbed the water hoses and started watering down the hay bales. As it turned out, the wind had just shifted and was blowing smoke in from the Marlow fire, about 20 miles NW. At the same time, there was another big fire about 15 miles due east. I think we're kidding ourselves with the water hose and the hay, but you feel like you've got to do something if one of those fires comes this way. Our local volunteer fire departments are about broke. Though the Feds have promised some disaster money, no one has seen it yet. The fires been very bad; lots of people have lost all their hay and grass. The weatherman says we've been without measurable rain for 90 days now. They're giving us a 20% chance tomorrow. By the time you add in 30 mph winds and 70-75 degree temperatures, we're setting on a powerkeg in this part of the country. I'm very concerned about how it will affect bull prices this spring.

Latest posts