Drought Assistance

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411

Reaction score
Where do you find out when drought assistance is offered? Does anyone know the specs of what conditions must fall below for drought assistance to be offered for crops and livestock?

Check with your local USDA NRCS office. The requirements vary so you need to talk to the folks that know the local terms/conditions

dun

I got a check once but if I remember right no money was paid out till at least 6 months after the drought was declared and the funds were applied for. It was when I ranched in Arkansas and don't even remember now if the check came from the federal or state government. They did do a few spot checks to make sure everyone was telling the truth about how many head they had but the assistance check covered the ammount of cattle one had over a certain time period.

The information about the program was listed in our local once a week paper but like what was said check with your extension office as that is where you apply for it at. Be sure and keep checking in as there is usually a window you need to be within or your SOL if assistance is offered. I'm still pretty new to Missouri and this community so I can't say how well they advertise such things. Where we moved from the extension office was always putting things in the paper for ranchers regarding different programs that were offered as well as assistance type information.

I'm wanting to say I was paid like $30-35 per head and it was about 5 years ago. I'm sure ammounts will differ depending on how severe the drought, and length of time it lasts. We are under severe conditions right now.

J

Latest posts