Driving posts in rocky ground

Help Support CattleToday:

Ever build a rock jack? Make a crib of wood, wire, maybe a 55gal barrel. Fill it with rocks.

Yup, takes up a little more space. Beats pounding rocks.

Used to see fences that were a hundred years old, up in the Ozarks that were nothing but stacked rocks. Then somebody in the Delta up and decided it was the upscale thing to do to use them for veneer on houses and to build estate fences. Them poor old hillbillies sold all there fences and then had to learn how to drive a post in rock. Rock houses everywhere here and we have no rocks, but you'll see very few in the mountains.

upfrombottom":3g66y78e said:
Used to see fences that were a hundred years old, up in the Ozarks that were nothing but stacked rocks. Then somebody in the Delta up and decided it was the upscale thing to do to use them for veneer on houses and to build estate fences. Them poor old hillbillies sold all there fences and then had to learn how to drive a post in rock. Rock houses everywhere here and we have no rocks, but you'll see very few in the mountains.

Still have some of those old fences down in this neck of the woods...occasionally you'll see a complete corral build out of the rocks...Must be very old.

I see the rock posts all the time. Saw gent rebuilding one a while back because the wire wrapping had rusted out and the rocks were falling down.

same situation here. i work alone so sometimes renting the proper equipment has better outcomes than hiring someone to dig one hole while you dig another. I have alot of fence to build on top of a rock cliff. I have found that you can rent a rock auger drill bit for a couple of hundread bucks and do more work than three or four people can do in a month. then you have clean holes that are strait.

Use the rocks from the field to build a rock wall. No wire, no posts, and fewer rocks in the field too

TexasBred":2qjcfh1n said:
upfrombottom":2qjcfh1n said:

Still have some of those old fences down in this neck of the woods...occasionally you'll see a complete corral build out of the rocks...Must be very old.

Have you ever been to Rock Springs? They have some rock sheds there!

Latest posts