Drive-by Shooting

Help Support CattleToday:

Brought the "million $$ cow" home today from LSU. They removed the bullet, put pins and screws in her foot to hold the fracture til it heels. She has a "hock" and a boot on it to keep as much pressure off of it as possible. She seems to be doing good. Was really ready to get in the trailer and even happier to get back in her field. Luckily, the stresses of the last week and a half didn't cause her to abort, and of course the "little man" on her side is great!! Vet says she should recover nicely and she is alot more hands-on, now.

So, after gas for transportation, $$ for missed hours at work, and of course vet - we're only out a whopping $2800-3000. :x :x Sure hope their homeowners comes through like they say they are. It's just a waiting game now. Wish me LOTS of luck and prayers for a happy ending. :mrgreen:

tglenn":2zjnf5v8 said:
So, after gas for transportation, $$ for missed hours at work, and of course vet - we're only out a whopping $2800-3000. :x :x Sure hope their homeowners comes through like they say they are. It's just a waiting game now. Wish me LOTS of luck and prayers for a happy ending. :mrgreen:

Glad you got your cow back safe and sound. Please pardon my ignorance but how will their homeowner's insurance be responsible for the damages resulting from a malicious crime? It wasn't on their property. The boy should have been in jail. Am I missing something here? I mean, if I commit a crime on your property will my homeowner's insurance cover the damages where you live? I'm only asking. Pretty sure it doesn't work this way here but good for you if it does.

I contacted our homeowners insurance company 'cause they will provide legal counsel if needed. they contacted the boy's parents homeowner's insurance, they contacted me and issued me a claim # and told me when we got the med records, bills, and out of pocket expenses, to send it all to them and they would contact us to pay for damages... :? I'm only doing what they told me to. If/when that doesn't work, I will seek damages in civil court. Really hope this can be settled without doing that. We'll see...

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not faulting what you are doing. I would do the very same thing if I were in your shoes. Its just that I can't see where a homeowner's policy would pay for something like this when it had nothing to do with the home. Heck, some insurance companies want to deny a claim if someone doesn't have their seat belt on. I just can't see where the parents homeowner's policy would pay for something their criminal their son did. I know the parents should step up to the plate but with them going thru a divorce there might be some argument between the two as which one pays and this could get ugly as well. I do hope the insurance will pay you. If they do, it will revive my faith in the insurance industry.

The whole homeowner's thing caught me off guard as well. I had never heard of it before and would never have thought of it had our insurer not started the process. I'm just playing the cards that are being dealt to me for the moment and see what comes of it. Will let you know if/when something happens.

If your insurance works the same as our you can claim, if both parties have legal insurance on their policy. When my Son was about 14 he broke a window in a green house not on our property, it was next door to his friends about two streets away from our house, and our insurance paid for the damage. It is like loosing your mobile phone or a piece of your belongings while out and about. So I was told.

Wait... so the kid that shot the cows didn't get arrested? All that happened is the parent's homeowners insurance is going to pay for it? That is just twisted... :devil2:

oh, no. the kid that actually shot the cow was arrested and is still in a juvenile facility. he was already on house arrest for other mis-deeds. he will stay there until his court date (approx aug 5), then we're told he'll go back to serve his time for his probation violation and then these charges. probably be there til he's 18. just keep in mind, there are previous charges that he is being punished for in addition to the charges from the shooting.

Ok, you guys said to let you know how it all turned out and what was found out. This is where we stand as of today: The actual shooter went before the judge yesterday, plead guilty and was returned to juvenile center until sentencing after medical/psych evals. Looking at 12 mths for this incident along with another 12 mths for previous incident.

As for the monetary aspect, his parents HAVE to make restitution. This is where their homeowner's kicks in. According to their ins co, in the state of LA (and a few others), if the child is >18 y/o and unemanicipated, the parents are legally and financially responsible for the acts of the child, whether it be accidental, criminal, malicious, etc... And if there is homeowner's insurance, to keep the home from being tied up and possibly lost in law suit issues, the homeower's insurance steps in and covers expenses and settlement issues. The insurance co is working well with me on this one, thus far, i can find no complaints :banana:

glad the kid is cooling his heals in juvie.an so glad the parents ins is working with you to get the damages settled.

Your not alone.

Lost a calf 10 weeks back. Found it bleeding from the head. Nothin you could really do. Had a bull that was shot at but got along just fine and a couple of cows.

yep, they have paid all out of pocket expenses up til the last vet appt. they have they receipts and will "settle" when she is actually released from the vet. the boy is still in juvie and the cow/preg is doing really well so far. thanks for you interest and concern :tiphat:

Latest posts