Drive-by Shooting

Help Support CattleToday:

Oh! one way or the other, they will. Either insurance, attorney, or just a good heart. They are gonna be held responsible at least for the vet and out of pocket expenses.

Thanks much for the update, tglenn. Sheds a little more light on a really lousy situation. I hope things go well for you. Let us know...

Alice :)

All the more reason to fight tooth and nail when they want to put a road or highway through your place. Good luck on it. Eared cattle are sky high - wouldn't you know they'd shoot a good one.

around here if some1 got caught shooting a cow.they would probly get shot.i to worry bout cows getting shot.as i have reg beefmasters as well.an they are my babies.$3500 is a good replacement price for the cow.those parents would be held responsable for the cows vet bills.

bigbull338":34lrr3ms said:
around here if some1 got caught shooting a cow.they would probly get shot.i to worry bout cows getting shot.as i have reg beefmasters as well.an they are my babies.$3500 is a good replacement price for the cow.those parents would be held responsable for the cows vet bills.

After all is said and done, tglenn, this is the advice you should follow.

Alice

Man that is just cruel...my guess is he was showing off in front of the girls? Wonder what kind of impression he made.....

bigbull338":3o9b3w0h said:

I agree the parents should be held responsible. But can you get damages from a parent if the child is thrown in jail? Seems its different here. Seems we have something like double jeopardy or something that if the person does time for their offence the best we can hope for is about $5 per month in restitution. Had a pile of timber burned by a young arsonist last year and this is all we are receiving but there is a whole gov't department that handles this type thing so I'm sure the staff will be diligent in the continued collection of our money and I think we should be repaid by the year 14,508. :mad:

dun":3mz98t5v said:
The way they used to calculate an animals value in Iceland if some drunk hit and ckilled one, was the maket value of the animal plus the market value of her potential offspring and the market value of her offpsrings offspring for a couple of generations. Seemed to generally figure out to around 10k in 1968 dollars. And that was for a stinking sheep.

Praytell, how many range maggots did you clobber?

Some jerk(s) shot a dozen or more bred heifers not far from here 2 or 3 years ago. I was at the market the day the live ones were sold, made my blood boil.

cfpinz":3fldqk0h said:
dun":3fldqk0h said:
The way they used to calculate an animals value in Iceland if some drunk hit and ckilled one, was the maket value of the animal plus the market value of her potential offspring and the market value of her offpsrings offspring for a couple of generations. Seemed to generally figure out to around 10k in 1968 dollars. And that was for a stinking sheep.

Praytell, how many range maggots did you clobber?

Some jerk(s) shot a dozen or more bred heifers not far from here 2 or 3 years ago. I was at the market the day the live ones were sold, made my blood boil.

I was lucky, I never did. But every month some poor non-Icelandic would wack one and the legal hoopla would start all over again.

You should be allowed to shoot them in the foot ,hopefully you can get them to pay your vet bills and maybe they will get some jail time.

grannysoo":12xiyrln said:
I do believe that I have now heard it all. A drive by shooting of a cow????? What was the matter, did she flash the wrong gang symbol at them? Was she wearing the wrong colors? Was she talking smack? Did she insult them?

Bring in the punishment from Singapore. A good caning in the courthouse square on Saturday would solve problems like these. :mad:

Granny......being a beefmaster she was probably wearing the wrong colors and was not CAB eligible. I think this punk kid was a minion of the CAB organization trying to protect their territory :lol:

In all seriousness several months of hard labor on a hog farm will make this kid think twice next time. I know cause I was raised on one.....it's worse than prison.

chrisy":uxk5ot5m said:
WOW Jo thought you had taken an ALX pill there for a minute.

Now listen old girl, you know I am the only one who can administer that pill, and it is always a suppository.

I gave you one in the torture thread, had trouble getting it past your head , remember?

:lol: :lol:

ALX.":zqrx0z2u said:
chrisy":zqrx0z2u said:

Now listen old girl, you know I am the only one who can administer that pill, and it is always a suppository.

I gave you one in the torture thread, had trouble getting it past your head , remember?

Now less of the old girl, and don't flatter yourself, no one has had trouble getting past my head, I just chose to ignore.

chrisy":2frcdz6w said:
ALX.":2frcdz6w said:
chrisy":2frcdz6w said:

Now less of the old girl, and don't flatter yourself, no one has had trouble getting past my head, I just chose to ignore.

Maybe it was your ears in the way then.

southeast louisiana...I'm not saying it wouldn't have happened before Katrina, but since then "New Orleans" has moved to the nothshore (southeast Louisiana) and I moved out...were these long time locals or newbies???

xbred":3v14txcq said:
southeast louisiana...I'm not saying it wouldn't have happened before Katrina, but since then "New Orleans" has moved to the nothshore (southeast Louisiana) and I moved out...were these long time locals or newbies???

they are town locals, but newbies to the rural area where we live. they (or someone) built a house down and around the road from us. Found out this morning that this "kid" was just shooting randomly while riding through the area. Total of 4-6 shots fired during their "excusion". Luckily no one or nothing else was a victim.

Freckles (the cow) is in surgery this afternoon. More damage that originally thought, still is NOT critical, but they will put pins in foot to keep her from fracturing it in the future. Will keep you all posted. Looks like she will be in LSU care for about 7 or days. My son says she won't want to come home when she leaves because the facilities are terrific!!! :clap:

LSU has an outstanding VET school...they saved our border collie after 3 vets advised to put her down...although I did pay for the new stadium! I wish you luck...

I was told by an old animal science professor of mine that on average it takes 6 years for a cow to 'pay herself off' therefore I would consider the next three years these 'unproductive members of society' have taken away if something does go wrong. Besides a good beating their parents should be ashamed of what terrible shots they are in the first place. :D

I have said this before and will say this agin. Long rows with dull hoes as in chopping cotton, and any other type of good old sweat dripping hard labor would do wonders for this young feller.

Man.. that's just SORRY. I agree with everyone that suggests they need to work it off doing something that involves SWEAT, but you know that won't happen. Kids have no respect for other people's stuff, and no remorse for anything these days. I understand their parents have it tough, but I wouldn't be surprised if the divorce is not part of the problem. Sounds like he's "striking out". Obviously an incredibly STUPID and insufferable thing to do.

This kind of stuff really, REALLY worries me. I have a group of replacement heifers up on Hwy. 6, and who knows who driving down the road.

A shame a person has to worry about stuff like this.. as if there isn't enough to worry about.

Latest posts