Drilling sudex

Help Support CattleToday:

DCB4

Reaction score
I've got a hay field I killed down with round up about 10 days ago. Got a good kill on it. Getting a drill tomorrow to get some sorghum sudan in the ground. Was really wanting to get the disc ran through the field before drilling but I'm getting pretty pressed for time. Will I be ok to just drill straight into the killed off grass or would I be better off to run a disc through it? First time putting any of this in the ground for me

Spray only will not totally kill sod here in the spring. Disking will help kill the sod - - but cause some other seeds to start growing...

Best (over)kill is to spray, wait at least 5 days, disk twice, wait a couple more weeks, then spray again.

A dense stand of warm season will grow fast enough to suppress most other things. I would NT drill now as long as you can do it uniformly.

Spray only will not totally kill sod here in the spring. Disking will help kill the sod - - but cause some other seeds to start growing...

Best (over)kill is to spray, wait at least 5 days, disk twice, wait a couple more weeks, then spray again.

A dense stand of warm season will grow fast enough to suppress most other things. I would NT drill now as long as you can do it uniformly.
But by drilling it into the good kill I've got the sorghum sudan should grow fast enough to not be choked out by any remaining sod correct?

I recently drilled in the same.......even with low moisture it's 3-4 inches tall.....today's rain should make it jump and cover over as SS noted

I plant danagraze a cross breed plant each year, I just sling it out. If the seed can get soil contact it will come up. I've also tried disking and or drilling and didn't get any better results than just slinging it out. My rep from Nutrien said if you lightly disk and then sling is the best way. Just let the seed set on the disked ground and let a rain wash it in.

We have a 3 acre paddock we overwinter on, always just weeds in the summer. We decided, after watching an extension meeting on it, to try sorghum sudan grass. We broadcast 50 pounds ($30) last Sunday, and it is already an inch tall! This is just an experiment, but seems to be going well so far.

Don't know about your seed but the danagraze you can spray 2-4-D on after it's 5" tall to clean the weeds out

We're planning to do the same thing in June after getting a cutting of alfalfa off a field that is in need of a replanting. It's our main hay field so can't afford to just till it up and plant a different crop on it for a year as we need the forage so the guy that does our custom hay work wants to basically do the same too and kill it off after 1st cutting then no till sudan in and will do bale wraps on it when we cut that. Then will plow the whole field up to do new alfalfa seeding next spring with oats as a cover. Last time we did this current alfalfa stand we had a good stockpile of hay already and killed it off after 1st cutting then no tilled some late soybeans in. Wouldn't you know we went into a bad drought that summer and got next to nothing for rain after we tilled the beans in so was a very sad stand of beans that wasn't even worth running a combine through so just mowed it down and fall grazed the field before we tore it up next spring. Hoping we don't get bad luck with a similar no till plan this year as we technically are still in a moderate drought from last year here but have been getting some good steady rains this month as long as we get some timely rains in June and July should be enough moisture for sudan to do well.

I plant danagraze a cross breed plant each year, I just sling it out. If the seed can get soil contact it will come up. I've also tried disking and or drilling and didn't get any better results than just slinging it out. My rep from Nutrien said if you lightly disk and then sling is the best way. Just let the seed set on the disked ground and let a rain wash it in.
Please tell me more about danagraze. I tried to Google it but nothing came up. Thanks, Andy

We have a 3 acre paddock we overwinter on, always just weeds in the summer. We decided, after watching an extension meeting on it, to try sorghum sudan grass. We broadcast 50 pounds ($30) last Sunday, and it is already an inch tall! This is just an experiment, but seems to be going well so far.
Welcome back to the forum. Been missing your posts for a while.

This is all I have on it right now. Tomorrow I will be at the place where I have some leftover seed, I can get you a picture of the tag then.

Attachments

• 978893B8-18E8-484D-A141-7B979613DEFC.jpeg
    978893B8-18E8-484D-A141-7B979613DEFC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
You can really clean the weeds out with it. 1.5 pints per acre of 2-4-D when it's about 6" tall and after that it shades the ground and prevents any new weeds from coming back

If you're in WKY then it's fescue sod. You'll regret ever putting a disk in it this soon after burn down. No till will work fine. Don't plant very deep.

Wanting to seed some sorghum sudan into my pasture this summer for extra grazing and soil improvement. I was planning on drilling it, but I'm seeing here that some of you are broadcasting it. I'm curious about seeding rates. Drilling vs broadcast into existing pasture. Thoughts?

Latest posts