No till drilling summer annuals

Help Support CattleToday:

tnwalkingred

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I have some pastures and hay fields (located in middle TN) that are not performing well and need to be replanted this fall in a permanent cool season stand. I've been thinking about mowing those fields down very short and immediately no-till drilling Pearl Millet into those fields for some forage over the summer (dry hay and grazing). I know ideally you would spray GLY-4 on the fields first but I would prefer to mitigate the numbers of times I go across the field as well as what equipment we have to rent. Would plan to drill in 15-20 lbs/acres and fertilize based on soil tests. We also do not have a moco so we will have to get the hay up with a disc mower and tedder. We've had good luck in the past with brown top millet assuming the late summer weather is typical. Would love to hear if any of you have done this and what your thoughts are. Thanks!

Hey y'all,

I have some pastures and hay fields (located in middle TN) that are not performing well and need to be replanted this fall in a permanent cool season stand. I've been thinking about mowing those fields down very short and immediately no-till drilling Pearl Millet into those fields for some forage over the summer (dry hay and grazing). I know ideally you would spray GLY-4 on the fields first but I would prefer to mitigate the numbers of times I go across the field as well as what equipment we have to rent. Would plan to drill in 15-20 lbs/acres and fertilize based on soil tests. We also do not have a moco so we will have to get the hay up with a disc mower and tedder. We've had good luck in the past with brown top millet assuming the late summer weather is typical. Would love to hear if any of you have done this and what your thoughts are. Thanks!
I'm a long ways away but this will be my third year doing no till barley/oats into old fields that were pastures. I get my fields sprayed out before I no till. My advice would be to do the same or you're likely wasting your money. I always seed outside the spray zone to see what happens and so far it germinates but it hasn't grown over a couple inches. Killing the old sod will also go a long way towards getting it ready to seed too. The first year you'll also get a lesser crop as the sod breaking down will use some of your nitrogen. I usually plan on a 2/3 crop.

I'm a long ways away but this will be my third year doing no till barley/oats into old fields that were pastures. I get my fields sprayed out before I no till. My advice would be to do the same or you're likely wasting your money. I always seed outside the spray zone to see what happens and so far it germinates but it hasn't grown over a couple inches. Killing the old sod will also go a long way towards getting it ready to seed too. The first year you'll also get a lesser crop as the sod breaking down will use some of your nitrogen. I usually plan on a 2/3 crop.
How do you harvest the small grain?
How much N do you broadcast ?

How do you harvest the small grain?
How much N do you broadcast ?

I'll graze it preferably. But last year I also did some as dry greenfeed and one field that was short but headed out I combined because it wouldn't make many bales.

I generally put about 100lbs/ac mostly 11-52 with some sulphur and potash with the seed, then later broadcast 100lbs/ac of nitrogen. These fields are generally pretty deficient to start with and I don't expect to make money on the first year, just cost myself less to easily renovate them.

I'll graze it preferably. But last year I also did some as dry greenfeed and one field that was short but headed out I combined because it wouldn't make many bales.

I generally put about 100lbs/ac mostly 11-52 with some sulphur and potash with the seed, then later broadcast 100lbs/ac of nitrogen. These fields are generally pretty deficient to start with and I don't expect to make money on the first year, just cost myself less to easily renovate them.
How many pounds per acre of actual N does this total up to?

Don't do it that way with pearl millet. You'll get next to nothing from it. You might be able to get something from sorghum sudan, it's more vigorous, or maybe use an improved crabgrass variety. Could probably spread the crabgrass with fertilizer and use a drag or harrow to put it in.

My first year I had a bad weed problem. I burned it down with glyphosate, disked in and drug the field smooth. I broadcast brown top millet as a cover crop along with bermuda in the spring. The millet looked great but it nearly killed out all the bermuda and I had to replant bermuda the next year. Since then, I just plant annual ryegrass for winter and mow it close at the end of spring to let the bermuda get some sun.

100# of 11% nitrogen = 11# nitrogen
100# of 100% nitrogen = 100# nitrogen
Total nitrogen = 111 pounds

Where's Son of Butch he's good at math.

Last edited:
I plant a decent amount of Tifleaf 3 pearl millet just south of you in MS. It will grow like no other and produces good tonnage for wet hay. I would be cautious planting behind mowing because the heavy residue can make it difficult to get proper seed placement and allowing ample sunlight for the see, I have a JD no-till drill as well. I know you said you didn't want to make additional trips but it's tough to get a crop establishment while another is going strings You could spray it with glyphosate or paraquat and plant the same day and do fine.

Latest posts