Seed Drilling Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Texasmark

Reaction score
Going to plant some KY-32 (non Endophyte) Fescue with a JD (double coulter) Drill. Seed selector chart and feeder gauges clearly visible and working. Any gotchas? Thanks

No one in my area never plants KY-32 or and Fescue nor some of the clovers that do well in other areas. I am in northern part East Texas. I think that Fescue has a hard time surviving the dry hot summers we have.

Can't weigh in on performance in TX... but the endophyte-free fescues have fallen by the wayside here, in favor of 'novel endophyte' varieties.
Our own experience with the endophyte-free varieties is that they turn toes-up at the first hint of drought or overgrazing.
Think the last time we planted an EF fescue, it lasted only 2-3 years.

.......How is the novel fescue working out.???? Planted my first this past September.....good stand and looks promising in this short amount of time.....used 2 different varities

Those seeding charts on drills usually plant more than they say, or less. Keep an eye on your seed level so you don't run out.

hurleyjd said:
No one in my area never plants KY-32 or and Fescue nor some of the clovers that do well in other areas. I am in northern part East Texas. I think that Fescue has a hard time surviving the dry hot summers we have.
Thanks.

In support of my reasoning, I have had great response from KY 31 for as long as I can remember in my alkaline clay soil. It goes dormant in the July August time line but as soon as cooling rains come in the fall, it's up and at em. Raised cows on it and baled it and fed it for years. No gripes. But all the doomsdayers out there (yes we have to be alerted to risks, butttttttttttt....it's a risk to get out of bed in the morning) have my customers convinced it is going to kill their cows bla bla bla.

Hancock Seed Co. is my current choice for a supplier. Their take on their product is on their www. Good reading for me anyway. I am out of solutions for a hay crop that I can work alone on my place and get it to work. Everything you or anybody else can throw at me I can counter for one reason or another. This is a glimmer of hope.

Lucky_P said:
Can't weigh in on performance in TX... but the endophyte-free fescues have fallen by the wayside here, in favor of 'novel endophyte' varieties.
Our own experience with the endophyte-free varieties is that they turn toes-up at the first hint of drought or overgrazing.
Think the last time we planted an EF fescue, it lasted only 2-3 years.
Thanks.

Hancock states that their product survives as well as 31 and is not a GMO product for all the tree huggers to get all up in arms about. What are Novel Endophyte varieties?

sim.-ang.king said:
Those seeding charts on drills usually plant more than they say, or less. Keep an eye on your seed level so you don't run out.

Hear you on that. That is my fear every time I plant....just like fertilization, gotta get it right the first time around.....if you make it around. :banana:

I have no-till drilled (3/8" deep) numerous Tall Fescue varieties in Van Zandt county of NE Texas. K32 did not survive, even when planted in loamy bottom land. I have not planted any K31. Chisolm has shown promise thus far; however, it is too early to call it successful.