Drilling in Seed

Help Support CattleToday:

SFFarms

Reaction score
Ok, I got some questions about drilling in seed in wet soil. We been trying to get our rye/oat/wheat in the ground for two weeks now and the rain isn't giving us a break. I plan on no till drilling the seed in already disked and prepared field, but what conditions is ideal for seeding it in the soil? We are looking at going again Thursday but with over 2 inches of rain today and more on Wednesday im just not sure. So is it plausible to seed in wet conditions?

It's plausible but not very satisfactory. The mud tends to clog everything up so you get a pretty uneven stand. If the ground is tilled and hasn;t formed a crust you would be better of broadcasting and dragging or rolling it (a cultipacker works great for those conditions).

SFFarms":1wbocl28 said:
Ok, I got some questions about drilling in seed in wet soil. We been trying to get our rye/oat/wheat in the ground for two weeks now and the rain isn't giving us a break. I plan on no till drilling the seed in already disked and prepared field, but what conditions is ideal for seeding it in the soil? We are looking at going again Thursday but with over 2 inches of rain today and more on Wednesday im just not sure. So is it plausible to seed in wet conditions?
Why no tilling in a disced and prepared seed bed? this contradicts the idea of No Till and is easy to get the seed to deep
I would broadcast and roll or use a cultipacker as dun mentioned you will get a better stand also

Why no tilling in a disced and prepared seed bed? this contradicts the idea of No Till and is easy to get the seed to deep
I would broadcast and roll or use a cultipacker as dun mentioned you will get a better stand also

Im new to all this so I havent quite had the experience yet. :kid: But also last year i did the the same thing and broadcasted it and i wasnt really happy with the coverage and the amount of seed i seem to waste. So that is the primary reason i chose to use a drill this year. I also plan to seed ryegrass in one of our hayfields and i like to run the drill across the field instead of broadcasting it. I think it's called "sodseeding"?

Thanks for the help and replys,

SFF

SFFarms":103rbfas said:

Im new to all this so I havent quite had the experience yet. :kid: But also last year i did the the same thing and broadcasted it and i wasnt really happy with the coverage and the amount of seed i seem to waste. So that is the primary reason i chose to use a drill this year. I also plan to seed ryegrass in one of our hayfields and i like to run the drill across the field instead of broadcasting it. I think it's called "sodseeding"?

Thanks for the help and replys,

SFF

I'll bet last years moisture patterns were different also. Planting conditions are a moving target. What you can get away with is directly related to your type of soil. I believe I could have gotten clover to grow this year, if I could have gotten out their to get it planted.

In sod or stubble you need a no-till. For prepared seed beds you need something like the old John Deere-Van Brunts

if your planning to graze....broadcast....follow with a roller or light drag...or nothing...i've seen drilled pasture grass get a hoof in every plant...

This year I broadcasted in the rain. Over 11 inches in those three days. Best stand I have ever had for oats, wheat and rye.

This year I used the Pasture Dream to drill in the clover, vetch & 2 acres of alfalfa-(just for fun). I just broadcasted the rye and drug a harrow over all of it when finished. Finished seeding just as the rain began here in Texas about two weeks age. It appears that every single alfalfa & clover seed that I planted has sprouted; by far the best stand I have ever achieved.

Whatever it is that you try to do at this point is going to be difficult with wet soil. If it were me, I would broadcast at this point and try to get a good seed to soil contact with whatever equipment you have. November is approaching soon & I would prefer to have already have my seeds in the ground.

Greenhaw

Latest posts