Dream herd?

Help Support CattleToday:

BIZIN":k5vtxv6e said:
Yes there were problems, the males are sterile in the first cross and the females can have some fertility problems, but I believe once you get to an animal that over 3/8 bison, the problems are gone. It would be an expensive project, but if it worked and you could have a final product that was fertile and had all the qualities I wanted, then it would be worth it.

It would be a cool project for a university to do. I wouldn't want my own money tied up in that experiment, which I am sure has been done by somebody somewherein the past. You just have to do the research to track down that person.

Well brandon there are those Hybridmasters that have some Bison in them. Was going to get into contact with the guy who developed them and see what he found.

smnherf":35sa0d92 said:
After reading some of the threads, my dream at this point would be to raise a polled bull that would be even half as good as these horned bulls supposedly are. :banana: :banana:

Brian
Should be easy. Just get a good polled bull and put one of those viking fans helmets on him and I'll bet he would muscle up, cover every cow in the county and grow more hair then a sheep

BIZIN":2bsves90 said:
Well brandon there are those Hybridmasters that have some Bison in them. Was going to get into contact with the guy who developed them and see what he found.

I am in Alabama and I have never seen any Hybridmasters and I have seen most of the 50 something breeds of cows. That leaves two possibilities. Maybe I am behind the times trapped here in my rural backwater town OR that experiment didn't work out so well.

Never know, gonna try though. Looking at buying the bison heifers this spring and see where it goes. If it doesnt work, well there is more money in bison anyway!

Land between the lakes sell off buffalo stock from time to time, the sale I went to 3 or 4 years ago , they sold as cheap as cattle..

I just fear that Buffalo would be to wild for my area...I saw a herd in Kansas at about this time, they were fairly mellow, but had much more open space than I have....

How do the Bison respond to electric fencing? Our Asian water Buffalo behave so long as the fences are hot and no idiot opens paddock gates! we had 13 run down the village (Overton) high street recently, fortunatly, not much traffic at 06.15.

I have no experience with them myself really, we buy and sell them and are looking at getting into some here soon. We have customers who run them in barbed and electric and the guy who is rotational grazing them has 4 strand electric. Our vet also runs about 40 and has them in electrified barbed wire. We had a few get out of the feedlot on us when we were export testing and the few heifers that got out sniffed our electric fence and got zapped, took me on the ATV and the dog 5 mins to get 6 bison heifers in. They responded very well to the fence and the dog. I thought for sure I would be shooting buffalo out of the passenger window of the truck, or running them about a mile across the field where there is an actual buffalo jump historic site!

I would have brahma cows and cross them with a polled hereford bull, keep a bunch of the heifers and cross with angus or some other black bull. Hopefully one day it will be more reality them a dream!!! I hope

I would go with Pinzgauer. They have very lean meat that is well marbled, and are very docile animals. And have beautiful markings.

I would have 30 head of the following

Polled Grey Brahman( getting to that number) I would use a polled grey nelore bull(I have one and he is double polled) on them
Polled Red Brahman (getting to that number) I would use a polled red nelore on them
Polled Red Nelore (none in the US yet) I would use a polled red brahman bull on them
Polled Grey Nelore (getting to that number) I would use a polled grey brahman bull(I have one double polled )
Horned Herefored (i have some) I would use a polled red brahman bull on them
Fleckvieh horned or polled (i have some) I would use a polled red brahman bull on them.

All the brahman and nelore crosses are registered as brahman and with the hereford and fleckvieh with a red brahman bull I will have some awesome F1s that I would put the best black angus bull on them

Latest posts