Draxin or zactran?

Help Support CattleToday:

Never used Zactran. I've no complaints at all with Draxxin. If it's respiratory I usually get the quickest response out of Baytril. But sometimes Baytril has to be followed up.

My experience is they are equally effective. Did a trial where every other sick calf was treated with draxxin and others with zactran. Had same results with each so I now mostly use Zactran because is more economical. Last time I figured could give full dose of zactran plus 2 cc/100 of baytril for what a full dose of draxxin cost. Call the zactran/baytril combo the "curem' or killem' " treatment.

Texas PaPaw":niiixu2t said:
My experience is they are equally effective. Did a trial where every other sick calf was treated with draxxin and others with zactran. Had same results with each so I now mostly use Zactran because is more economical. Last time I figured could give full dose of zactran plus 2 cc/100 of baytril for what a full dose of draxxin cost. Call the zactran/baytril combo the "curem' or killem' " treatment.

Why did you feel you needed the combo?

Stocker Steve":2fbutwny said:
Texas PaPaw":2fbutwny said:

Just use the combo when concerned that didn't get calf pulled and treated quick enough. Seems it takes zactran or draxxin longer to see improvement than baytril so the combo speeds the process over just zactran or draxxin.

Nesikep":1gtzezkx said:
While we're here, how does Resflor fit into this?
Draxxin, NuFlor, Resflor and Zactran are all good for the treatment of the 4 major pathogens of BRD which are
Mannheimia, Pasteurella, Haemophilus and Mycoplasma. None of them work for treating Foot Rot or Metritis.

Zactran is currently on manufacturer back order.

EXCENEL RTU EZ is good for 3 of the 4 (does nothing for Mycoplasma) but it is also good for Foot Rot and Metritis.

Son of Butch":33a4xs4t said:
Stocker Steve":33a4xs4t said:
Texas PaPaw":33a4xs4t said:

Baytril 100 does not work on Mycoplasma pathogens.
It may work a 1/2 hour faster than Zactran on the other 3 pathogens, but each of the drugs mentioned seem to work fine alone.

While combining 2 different drugs such as Baytril and Zactran in theory should give 2 modes of action, I would not do
it because without research they might counteract each other. I really don't know, but I've never heard any Vet
recommend combining them, so I only follow the labeled directions on drugs unless otherwise recommended by a Vet.

Son of Butch":18vwy32k said:
Nesikep":18vwy32k said:
Draxxin, NuFlor, Resflor and Zactran are all good for the treatment of the 4 major pathogens of BRD which are
Mannheimia, Pasteurella, Haemophilus and Mycoplasma. None of them work for treating Foot Rot or Metritis.

EXCENEL RTU EZ is good for 3 of the 4 (does nothing for Mycoplasma) but it is also good for Foot Rot and Metritis.

Actually Resflor and Nuflor do work quite well for foot rot. Foot rot is indicated for treatment by Nuflor on the label, and as far as I know the only difference between Resflor and Nuflor is Resflor has a non-steroidal anti inflammatory included, they both have Florfenicol as the main ingredient. A lot of people in these parts are going to these drugs for the treatment of foot rot.

Nesikep":2i9d1638 said:

Resflor is a top shelf treatment for BRD in my experience. I like the anti inflammatory that comes with it. Some people prefer to give Resflor and Metacam at the same time because they feel they can follow up with another shot of Resflor without doing organ damage by administering too much of the anti inflammatory.

Silver":ixejbfeg said:
Son of Butch":ixejbfeg said:

Actually Resflor and Nuflor do work quite well for foot rot. Foot rot is indicated for treatment by Nuflor on the label
I stand corrected..... thank you.

Son of Butch":1n8dfdk3 said:
Nesikep":1n8dfdk3 said:

NuFlor works better than anything we have tried on foot rot. It states on it's label it works on foot rot. One of my vets say it is the one drug that usually works.

elkwc":1zqg4k9d said:
NuFlor works better than anything we have tried on foot rot. It states on it's label it works on foot rot.
One of my vets say it is the one drug that usually works.

I acknowledged my mistake 6 hrs ago....... what more do you want me to do?
It's a go to for respiratory for me..... had to check the label (which I did) to see it is recommended for foot rot.
Being in Dairy country Excenel is the common go to for foot rot around here.

Son of Butch":2lbn73kw said:
elkwc":2lbn73kw said:
NuFlor works better than anything we have tried on foot rot. It states on it's label it works on foot rot.
One of my vets say it is the one drug that usually works.

I acknowledged my mistake 6 hrs ago....... what more do you want me to do?
It's a go to for respiratory for me..... had to check the label (which I did) to see it is recommended for foot rot.

Being in Dairy country Excenel is the common go to for foot rot around here.

Son of Butch. I hadn't read the other posts when I made mine.

Latest posts