Retain Ownership or Sell?

Help Support CattleToday:

midTN_Brangusman

Reaction score
I have a load of steers I weaned this fall, my plan was to put them in a video sale in March. By then they should be in the 750 -800 lb range. Was also thinking about sending them to Kansas/Nebraska to a feed lot. This would put me at about $3500 for trucking plus feed. Has anyone done this? Tips and advice would be appreciated.

$3500 in trucking means you are hauling some distance. A friend of mine who retains ownership says that you need to drop in occasionally unannounced to check on things. Is this something you can do? Check references and check them again.

Stocker Steve said:
Harlan's analysis says there is not much profit in it, on average.
Why do you want to do it?

Just wanted to make sure i wasnt leaving any money on the table. From what ive read so far it doesnt seem worth it to me.

Don't know if your cattle are grossly undervalued, or what your resources are - - but one way to look at it would be to compare the benefit from back grounding another group vs. benefit of taking these to slaughter.

Stocker Steve said:
Don't know if your cattle are grossly undervalued, or what your resources are - - but one way to look at it would be to compare the benefit from back grounding another group vs. benefit of taking these to slaughter.

That is a very good point, it will free up some land and facilities for sure.

Latest posts