Feed Tracking App or software

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
This may not be in the right category but I figure it's directed towards feeding and tracking.

I am using cattlemax for my heard records. Love it..for the most part. A major feature I feel that it is missing is being able to track specific feedings and feed consumption on a per head, or per pen basis. I have a small herd so spreadsheets and notebooks is a viable option, but I would like a more technological approach.

Does anyone have recommendations for such an app?

I would like simply to track over a season all feed that is given into a specific pen of animals ideally with costs associated, but even just a tracker and I can add costs later on.

Millerlanefarms said:
This may not be in the right category but I figure it's directed towards feeding and tracking.

I am using cattlemax for my heard records. Love it..for the most part. A major feature I feel that it is missing is being able to track specific feedings and feed consumption on a per head, or per pen basis. I have a small herd so spreadsheets and notebooks is a viable option, but I would like a more technological approach.

Does anyone have recommendations for such an app?

I would like simply to track over a season all feed that is given into a specific pen of animals ideally with costs associated, but even just a tracker and I can add costs later on.

Software is my thing. I train it and built it for a living. Particularly sales and finance software. That being said the one piece of advice I always give is never try to create something new or do something that requires additional products. Excel would work great for this purpose...and i know you say you would rather a different solution.

That's how I track my costs and data. A well built excel spreadsheet is the best tool. You can tailor it to what you need where a software typically wont have all the custom fields you need unless you build it yourself as you are finding out with cattlemax. We operate a retail business that sells products we produce on our farm. I have tried tracking cost against profit all sorts of ways. But at the end of the day I always have better luck using excel and importing the data into my finance software in reconciled amounts.

Excel is a great tool, but like many of the software tools I use in my 9-5, they are all based on the data handling premises of excel, but skinned to improve user experience. I have built a rudimentary google sheets file that does what I need, but its not easy from the seat of the tractor as I am out feeding. An app with the right UI would be nice. Even cattlemax, and tagmax exports as excel csv files but the imput ease is there. I spoke to cattlemax guys and they have said its a feature that has been requested. I just hope it comes sooner then later.

Millerlanefarms said:
Excel is a great tool, but like many of the software tools I use in my 9-5, they are all based on the data handling premises of excel, but skinned to improve user experience. I have built a rudimentary google sheets file that does what I need, but its not easy from the seat of the tractor as I am out feeding. An app with the right UI would be nice. Even cattlemax, and tagmax exports as excel csv files but the imput ease is there. I spoke to cattlemax guys and they have said its a feature that has been requested. I just hope it comes sooner then later.

Just keep sending requests to their helpdesk. Typically ill get enough users hammering me about something that ill develop the new feature. I totally understand wanting the ease of usage on an app. Excel doesn't run well on a phone from your tractor. Hopefully someone else has some ideas for you! But if you ever need Excel help i can help you with that. Sadly i pride myself in my formula writing ability :lol: .

Latest posts