drawing vaccines

Help Support CattleToday:

triple'S'

Reaction score
If I were going to use different syringes and needles for each animal, would there being anything wrong with me drawing up meds at the beginning of the day or the night before and putting them in a cooler chute-side. So they would be drawn up for less than 24 hrs.???

I know safety is an issue with human meds but putting that aside.

Depends on the vaccines. If they are dry and have to be mixed with a liquid prior to vaccinating, they are usually only viable for a certain period of time. Likewise, some vaccines require refrigeration, and some may not. This would be something to talk over with your vet, I think.

If you have to reconstitue the vaccine, I would wait til you are ready to give it.

Other than that, the vet office I used to work at drew up vaccines the day before all the time. Especially if they were going to a large farm. I have pre-drawn some vaccines here at home and left them in the fridge overnight.

But for your own peace of mind, ask your vet.

Also depends on the type of vaccine and the consistancy of it. For example the Vira Shield 6 is a milky white color & likes to separate and will clog the needle & possible the syringe tip if drawn up too early. Needs to me shaken up well before ddrawing into the syringe. I do draw up my ivomec before I get chute-side and label each syringe with cows#( if I already know their weight). When you are working with smaller numbers you can use the disposable syringes & do stuff like that.

thats what I've noticed too. It works well on the blackleg shots but not so well on the respritory vaccines because they settle so much. thanks

msscamp":1ye9v9ox said:
Depends on the vaccines. If they are dry and have to be mixed with a liquid prior to vaccinating, they are usually only viable for a certain period of time. Likewise, some vaccines require refrigeration, and some may not. This would be something to talk over with your vet, I think.

Good comment and accurate.

I was taught by my veterinarian to insert a needle into the bottle, leave it there and use different syringes to draw that vaccine from the bottle - allowing me to run a bunch of needles in just a couple of minutes and not contaminate the bottle. I generally run about 5 needles ahead when we are working the chutes - that way the girls can keep up to me when we are sticking multiple needles into the herd.

In other words using a 60 cc syringe to inject 5 ccs into animals I would hit 12 and re-load. During the reload I would remove the needle - toss it into the sharps container and attach the syringe to the needle loaded into the bottle - load up and go.

Personally I would not pre-load a syringe the night before on some stuff - ie: reconstituted / and would not worry about other stuff - ie: LA200.

In all honesty I have never considered this before - so I have to ask - why would you do this? The time saving would be very marginal at best.

Just my thoughts.

Bez>

Bez>":2ko3jnc7 said:
msscamp":2ko3jnc7 said:

Good comment and accurate.

I was taught by my veterinarian to insert a needle into the bottle, leave it there and use different syringes to draw that vaccine from the bottle - allowing me to run a bunch of needles in just a couple of minutes and not contaminate the bottle. I generally run about 5 needles ahead when we are working the chutes - that way the girls can keep up to me when we are sticking multiple needles into the herd.

In other words using a 60 cc syringe to inject 5 ccs into animals I would hit 12 and re-load. During the reload I would remove the needle - toss it into the sharps container and attach the syringe to the needle loaded into the bottle - load up and go.

Personally I would not pre-load a syringe the night before on some stuff - ie: reconstituted / and would not worry about other stuff - ie: LA200.

In all honesty I have never considered this before - so I have to ask - why would you do this? The time saving would be very marginal at best.

The reasons that I've found myself pre-drawing is normally if Husband needs to go out without me to admin. the vaccines for one reason or another. I draw them, label them for whos who and how to administer.

Just my thoughts.

Bez>

Why are you using a new syringe for each cow?

Buy a multiple dose vaccine gun, fill it up, administer to each animal until the syringe is empty, replace needle with a new one, draw vaccine, repeat until cows are all done.

It's not rocket science.

ENNOT":2k2i8blr said:
Why are you using a new syringe for each cow?

Buy a multiple dose vaccine gun, fill it up, administer to each animal until the syringe is empty, replace needle with a new one, draw vaccine, repeat until cows are all done.

It's not rocket science.

That's how we do it too, except the needle does not get replaced unless it gets bent or develops a burr.

That's the easiest way to do it. The cost of the gun is high, but after 20 head it pays for itself.

Disposable needles are what, $0.20 each, they are cheap and easy to dispose of. And you don't get anything going back in the bottle.

We also have a couple guns that draw off the bottle through a hose that work pretty good, except you have to carry the bottle around all the time and make sure the hose doesn't get kinked, but they are real handy and cheap.

Once the vaccine leaves the bottle, whether it is MLV or KV, it is compromised as to its efficacy. Don't draw off the vaccine the night before. Take a cooler and an ice pack and carry the vaccine with you until you need it, one dose at a time or whatever. Thats why they reccommend pushing air back into the bottle, to keep the original pressure the vaccine was under during bottling. There is a purpose to keeping pressure in the bottle.

ENNOT":vhlw7md1 said:
Thats why they reccommend pushing air back into the bottle, to keep the original pressure the vaccine was under during bottling. There is a purpose to keeping pressure in the bottle.

The best reason to push air into the bottle is so that it is easier to draw the vaccine. If you don't push air into the bottle (during the first few draws) you create a vaccum between the vial and the syringe and it is much harder to draw and you can suck the vaccine back into the bottle, chancing contaminating the entire bottle.

Latest posts