Dr.Jan Bonsma

Help Support CattleToday:

Beef Man

Reaction score
A few months ago in one of the hereford discussions there was a old article about Bonsma that was published in the hereford journal. I would sure like to see the article again and know in what issue it was published. As some of you know I am one of those OLD hereford breeders and my memorie is not good. Would appreciate somebody's help on this. Thank You Eddy Beery

Beef Man":11vlmid9 said:
A few months ago in one of the hereford discussions there was a old article about Bonsma that was published in the hereford journal. I would sure like to see the article again and know in what issue it was published. As some of you know I am one of those OLD hereford breeders and my memorie is not good. Would appreciate somebody's help on this. Thank You Eddy Beery

Here's the link to the thread:
http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=65370&p=764129&hilit=+bonsma#p764129

George

Super year here! Been wet all summer,about the best grass and hay year ever seen. Hoppers are also quite bad but haven't bothered much. Next year may be a different story. Naturally the calves are in excellent shape. Have some 137y 2yerolds with 700# bull calves-- so proud of them little sweethearts about to bust the buttons off my shirt Little heifers weigh about 950--1000. Regular litte milking machines. Going to display them Sat. at Miles City at our Mt. Hereford field day. Thank You for your help on Bonsma, I always was interested in his philosophy and know that like a lot of things he probably was'nt always right on everything. But between him and Jim Drayson they hada lot of good comman sense reasons and these things are still hard to beat. I still beleive in the old saying " The eye of the master fattens the calf" Not that i consider myself as a master,there certainly has been and still are some that qualify. All performance and epd's are fine but if the animal itself is not functual and practicle what good is it. Better shut up before I raise some controversy .

purecountry":384mtcyz said:
Me too, I'd like to see anything that's 950 lbs raising a 700lb calf.

He didn't say how old they were when they weighed 700 lbs....................could be they weighed that when they were a year old.....................

Eddy you can order Bonsma's book through the Stockman Grass Farmer. Ty and I might be heading stateside next Tuesday on our way to Cody to a bronc riding. Not sure if we can swing east or not he's up in Val Marie on Saturday. Last time I was down was the weekend of the Lee reunion at Plentywood-they gathered about 200 Hereford heifers and their calves that Sunday morning there were some cows there sure doing a job also. We have lots of grass here this year and there is a ton of hay in the country in various shades of black.

Latest posts