downed cow

Help Support CattleToday:

LisaJoy":1c3ham0n said:
The start up float is $160 and then $30 a day. I figure, if in 2 days she up and running (or walking) I'm still ahead of the game. And it's been a very interesting experience. PS. I'm not made of money either. :lol:

That's cheaper than buying a new cow these days. Go for it. If it were to cost more than a new cow, you'd have to re-think it.

I have nothing to contribute here except to say that I'm absolutely *riveted* to this thread.. :oops: :lol: Can't wait to tune in tomorrow, and I'm dying to see some pictures!

I wonder if this cow knows how many people are pulling for her?? :lol:

born...,

Near Chetek?

Just delivered a bull up there last fall. Beautiful country. That Lake Chetek area is very, very nice. Off of 53...i believe...north of Eau Clare.

cm...,

So far sounds good.

We had a registered heifer ..two years ago...lived with her for about 7 days. Usually, a slow recovery is involved. The reason this process is so interesting is In case it is a valuable registered one....we wouldn't want to give up so easy.

I have floated dairy cows before, had some success and some failures. The sooner you float them the better your chances.

Good luck.

born...,

Near Chetek?

Just delivered a bull up there last fall. Beautiful country. That Lake Chetek area is very, very nice. Off of 53...i believe...north of Eau Clare.

Pretty close :) This is God's country.

Sounds like this might been a good idea if you had done this when she first got down, at the prices that guy qouted you on a cow that has been down a week. All I can say is the cow is lucky she is yours versus mine.

What was the point of that reply.We all know you Texicans know everything and are tougher and more hard as*ed than everybody else.We have heard it a million times. Good luck Ma,am

jj216":218haugv said:
What was the point of that reply.We all know you Texicans know everything and are tougher and more hard as*ed than everybody else.We have heard it a million times. Good luck Ma,am

Man your bright 15 watt bulb in a 40 watt socket.

Sorry about that with the photo. I'll try it again, this time reading the directions.
:p
While taking the photos last night, I noticed he has a couple of different "brands" of tanks, but the one my cow is in is an aquacow tank. I took 5 photos for y'all. Don't laugh at my wooly winter haired heifer. She's a peidmontese crossed with a Hereford/Guernsey mama and won't win a beauty pageant. :lol:
aquacow.jpg

aquacowrollmat.jpg

aquacowintotank.jpg

aquacowlying.jpg

aquacowinH2O.jpg

Forgot to mention, after she "floated" for a night, they drained the water, she stood for 20 minutes, and then they had her back out. She took a few steps, turned around too fast and went down again. She stood up by herself for a little bit when they got her in the tank, without water, and then went down again. When the water filled, she stood much more balanced than she did the night before. (her left leg wasn't working too well.). So, we shall see. I'm not as hopeful as I was yesterday. Thanks to ALL of you for sharing your wisdom, insight, experiences, support and even your opinions. ( :oops: ) This is really a great site! :D

rkm":3dfxdl5m said:
I have floated dairy cows before, had some success and some failures. The sooner you float them the better your chances.

Good luck.

Thanks! Do you know...could part of the reason for the sooner you float them psychological, so they don't think they are "downed" or is it strickly physical?
Last night she was able to get up when she was aggravated enough, but not until then.

When/how do you feed them in there? Guess they should have plenty to drink. I think your cow is looking pretty good, guess I would to though if I was put in a hot tub for a couple of days to hang out and relax!

Was just thinking I've always wanted a swimming pool and since the wife is building a new home I wonder if I had a pool put in and then in big letters along the side of it put "Aquacow Tank" if the tax man would still come and get me for taking it as a tax write off :lol: ! I could always load my MIL in the pool if they did come around to show it was good for REAL BIG stuff ;-) !

J

EIEIO":35zvfpsq said:
When/how do you feed them in there? Guess they should have plenty to drink. ]
Good question. There is a small, welded, heavy duty feeder that hooks onto the front gate panel. It was not placed yet when I took the photos. It holds about 1-2 flakes of hay and has a small tray for grain. And ya, I guess they won't go thirsty. :lol:
Was just thinking I've always wanted a swimming pool and since the wife is building a new home I wonder if I had a pool put in and then in big letters along the side of it put "Aquacow Tank" if the tax man would still come and get me for taking it as a tax write off :lol: ! I could always load my MIL in the pool if they did come around to show it was good for REAL BIG stuff ;-) !
Not a bad idea. :idea:
J[/quote

I believe it is both phychological and physical, but mostly physical. I think if she dosn't use her muscles they start to deteriorate.

rkm

We never worried to much about feed while they were floating. Maybe a handful of hay. We float them for few hours, usually over night. If they had to be floated again we let them rest about 12 hours, give feed then.

rkm

Latest posts