Down cow won't drink

Help Support CattleToday:

Isomade

Reaction score
She got down in her hind end, she will eat grain and hay but hasn't drank in 3 days. Thoughts?

Isomade":3tkal8qg said:
She got down in her hind end, she will eat grain and hay but hasn't drank in 3 days. Thoughts?

Not good ones for one that won't drink.
Has she got the look? Is she still fighting?
Do you know why she is down? Bull? Calving? Injury from a fall?

Caustic Burno":s2wmivqd said:
Isomade":s2wmivqd said:

Not good ones for one that won't drink.
Has she got the look? Is she still fighting?
Do you know why she is down? Bull? Calving? Injury from a fall?
Neighbors cow. Hasn't had a calf since last spring, not showin signs of being close to calving. He said she was having trouble walking in her hind end then went down. I went over day before yesterday and I thought she would die during the night. I used bale arms to lift her and work legs, no reaction. She ate but had not drank anything out of the pale. Yesterday she actually moved her back legs slightly and ate like a horse, still hadn't drank. She was much more lively. Today is just like yesterday. Hasn't had a drop of water for 3 days.

Other than putting her in a sling and lifting to get the pressure off of a pinched nerve I am lost.
Not knowing a reason it is hard to say what went North.

I'll throw in my :2cents: , obviously sounds like the cow is on the way out, that's a no brainier. But it sounds like shes's getting stronger with feed, so how to get fluids to her. If you can get your hands on some fluids, my guess is 5 to 7 thousand ml's. Again obviuosly a Vet is the best answer, but if someone can hit the jugular I would go with a glucose solution, the glucose will give her more energy. If you have to go sub-Q stay away from glucose, my vet told me if you use glucose sub-q the animal has a very good chance of sloughing her skin at the fluid site. Go with LRS or sodium chloride. Some injection of Vit B complex may help also.

Just my :2cents: , good luck. But it sounds bad, backhoe bad.

Alan

cross_7":28jq05rh said:
jerry27150":28jq05rh said:
pump some water down her,any hose will work

be sure your in the stomach and not a lung

:nod: that was my first thought, how quick can you drown a cow using only a garden hose.

I had one get down 3 weeks ago after pulling her calf. I picked her up two times a day for two hours each time. I gave her feed, and hay two times and water three times a day. Did this for two weeks and she wasn't getting any better so I put her down. Moral of the story is "most of the time" when a cow goes down that's it, she's not getting up.

Symptoms sound a lot like acorn poisoning to me. Kidneys shutting down. If it is, she won't get any better.

In addition to tubing her, feed her soaked beet pulp shreds or pellets with her feed. It will swell (absorb the water) quicker if you use hot water. 2 cups of beet pulp will swell into quite a bit. Mix 2 cups of BP to 4 -5 cups of water. Let it soak 20 to 30 minutes if possible. Feed her half beet pulp and half feed. Our milk cow loves it. It will add bulk and moisture to her digestive tract.

if you are not good at telling lungs from stomach the vet should have pump to put water down her or they do make a bigger tube feeder, if she is eating she definitly has the will to live

One IV bottle of dextrose, one of CMPK and if she still won't drink the next day give her an IV of saline and make sure she can get to the water bucket.

I'd IV 2 bottles of dextrose in the neck but if she hasn't drank in 3 days she's probably so dehydrated it will be real tough to hit the vein.

chippie":97zgd5jq said:
How is she doing?
Same. I can't believe she is alive, she must be a prankster. When I leave she probably laughs and get up and runs and get a drink from the pond.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3kujkwid said:
How is she doing?
Just curious. Any chance she was recently dewormed with a pour-on? Around here, the cutoff date is Nov 5 for pour-on products because of the grubs migrating.
No, she hasn't been worked this year.

Latest posts