Dovetail Trailer Tires

Help Support CattleToday:

Soggy Bottom

Reaction score
I have owned a Big Tex 35+5 22 GN for about a year. Its a 2011 model and the tires have been good so far until last week I had a blow out. The current tires I think are original. They still look good as I think the trailer only has less than 5,000 miles on it. The current tires are a Provider 10ply load range E tire. I think I would like to upgrade to a 14 ply tire. The local shop has been selling Super Cargo tires for about 12 years he says and has had good luck with them. I know nothing about this brand and there isn't much online about them. Anyone have any experience with this brand or have a commendation for another brand?

I think of you go to a 14ply you might have to replace the wheels also because of the higher pressure that you have to put in the 14 ply tires.

Ya usually when you see the 14ply+ they have those real solid looking steel wheels.

The tire people should be able to answer that and maybe even sell you the wheels.

If it's a dual, tandem I dont know that 14ply is necessary. 12 will probably do it and might avoid the wheel change. If its dual, singles then yes, I would go for the best you can afford. That would be a good question for Big Tex. I know you can upgrade most tires on those trailers for a little more. Same with cattle trailers.

Brute 23 said:
Ya usually when you see the 14ply+ they have those real solid looking steel wheels.

Those are usually 17.5's. I can't tell any difference in the wheels used on DT trailers that come with either 10 ply or 14 ply tires on 16 inch wheels.

Sailun, Samson and Green Ball are the ones I see the most around here. I bought a new trailer a few years back with Gladiators on it, those things are junk.

You don't HAVE to go to a heavier rim, you can perfectly well inflate them to the same pressure as a 10 ply, they'll just last longer and still handle the load better
I had cheap 10 ply radials on my trailer when I bought them, they were horrible, I then put the Sailun 14 ply and never had a flat in 5 years on my gravel roads. I did find I had to air them down when I had the stock rack on the trailer (unloaded) or it would sway too much
I bent the axles on this load, (hit a bump) tires aren't aired up over 70, they seem to handle it just fine

You dont need to change rims to change tire plys. Just remember the trailers capacity is only as high as the lowest rated components be it springs, axles, rims, tires, etc.

I run the same tires on my 7k lbs axle trailers as I do on my 5200lbs axle trailer just for ease of keeping spare rubber on hand . Tires are at capacity on the big trailer so on the small trailer they are overkill.

Soggy Bottom said:
I have owned a Big Tex 35+5 22 GN for about a year. Its a 2011 model and the tires have been good so far until last week I had a blow out. The current tires I think are original. They still look good as I think the trailer only has less than 5,000 miles on it. The current tires are a Provider 10ply load range E tire. I think I would like to upgrade to a 14 ply tire. The local shop has been selling Super Cargo tires for about 12 years he says and has had good luck with them. I know nothing about this brand and there isn't much online about them. Anyone have any experience with this brand or have a commendation for another brand?

You may know this....

Trailer tyres need changing at about 5 years, due to lack of use and weathering etc

If used a lot, prob no different to a vehicle in service often.....

I put a set of 14 ply Hercules on my 25' dual tandem using the same rims that the cheap original tires came with.
Nothing but trouble with the cheap tires.

I think you'll find that there is no such thing as a 14 ply tire. Hasn't been since they used cotton. It's only an indication of strength as compared to the old bias ply tires. To know what you are actually getting you need to look at the load range AND the load index.

Soggy Bottom said:
You can put 14ply load range G on that trailer without issues. The rims will hold the Load Range G tires fine. If it is a Low Profile trailer you will want to stick with a 235/80/r16. The 235/85/r16 will rub on a Low Pro trailer. We sell the Hercules brand tires with out much issues. Out of the China made tires, they seem to be a better tire over all. The ones with solid looking wheels are the 17.5" tires and those come in 16 and 18 ply LR-H and LR-J. We are trying a new style 15" 12 ply tire and a 16" 16 ply tire out. I think the 15" 12ply is going to be a big hit.
The biggest issue you will run into is on old trailers, like the ones from the 70/80's that came with the 7.50 x 16" bias ply tires. The back spacing on those wheels are fine with Bias Play but when you change over to radials and under a heavy load, the radials will rub sidewalls and push the wheel off the studs. It does not happen on every old wheel/trailer but if you are swapping from bias ply to radials, you sure need to look and make sure the tires are not touching when loaded.
Personally, I change tires out every 5 years. I am getting to old to be changing tires on the side of thehighway

SALTBRANCH2 said:
We are trying a new style 15" 12 ply tire and a 16" 16 ply tire out. I think the 15" 12ply is going to be a big hit.

Mind if I ask the name of the 15" 12 ply that you're testing, and how you like it so far? My wife has a small g/n trailer for day rides that's going to need tires soon. It has 205/90/15's on it now but am thinking of going back with 225/75/15 as there seems to be better/more tire choices in that size.

Also, do you have any experience with Greenball tires in the 235/80/16 14 ply variety? I've been looking at them to put on a low pro dual tandem, local folks seem to like them.

Thanks.

cfpinz said:
SALTBRANCH2 said:
We are trying a new style 15" 12 ply tire and a 16" 16 ply tire out. I think the 15" 12ply is going to be a big hit.

Mind if I ask the name of the 15" 12 ply that you're testing, and how you like it so far? My wife has a small g/n trailer for day rides that's going to need tires soon. It has 205/90/15's on it now but am thinking of going back with 225/75/15 as there seems to be better/more tire choices in that size.

Also, do you have any experience with Greenball tires in the 235/80/16 14 ply variety? I've been looking at them to put on a low pro dual tandem, local folks seem to like them.

Thanks.
I will find out tomorrow and get the name. We are still new into using the brand. On was a co=unstrion campny, the other was oilfield retailed of tire but have had en complaints

cfpinz said:
SALTBRANCH2 said:

Thanks.

mastertrack st22575r15 12pr load range f, so far they seem to perform good. Made in China....some say production maybe slowed down by the corona virus now.

SALTBRANCH2 said:
cfpinz said:
SALTBRANCH2 said:

Thanks.

mastertrack st22575r15 12pr load range f, so far they seem to perform good. Made in China....some say production maybe slowed down by the corona virus now.

Thank you. I'll look them up.

Latest posts