Dove Season is looking good

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
I do some work for a man who loves bird hunting. For the last two years he has planted Tiftseed 104 millet and has had "guessing" 500 birds in a 20 acre field for two years straight. Kept thinking I'd get an invite but being just the hired help I never did. Nevertheless, planted some this year and things are looking good. Anyone tried this stuff?

I am overrun with doves - people actually eat them?

Every morning the darned things wake me up - flocks all over the front fields.

Bez>

As tiftleaf 3 puts on a lot of foliage this plants growth is concentrated more in the seedhead and puts on a heavy amount of seed. Plan on mowing small strips on occassion to scatter seed and keep birds coming.

Surely you jest Bez! I like eating dove. Marinate in italian dressing, wrap in a piece of bacon and put on the grill. Good stuff. I think dove is the other red meat. :lol:

Jogeephus":1ttn8ky2 said:
As tiftleaf 3 puts on a lot of foliage this plants growth is concentrated more in the seedhead and puts on a heavy amount of seed. Plan on mowing small strips on occassion to scatter seed and keep birds coming.

Surely you jest Bez! I like eating dove. Marinate in italian dressing, wrap in a piece of bacon and put on the grill. Good stuff. I think dove is the other red meat. :lol:

I had a froend that ad moved to the US from south america as a youngser, but his dad had taught him to alwasy use everything of anything he shot. When people would breast out doves, he'ld collect what they threw away and make a meal out of it. Feathers guts, head and feet were the only things I didn;t see him cook up. Even those tiny little drumsticks, if they could be called that, were included in the cooking.

Dun, when I was a kid I tried to pluck the first bag of dove I killed. Everybody had a laugh at that. Them drumsticks sure were tiny.

Jogeephus":3in6tje1 said:

Nope, no jest - we are overrun and I have never seen anyone shoot a dove. In fact I do not even know if there is a season for them here - highly doubt it.

I could probably shoot them year round if I wanted.

Some day I might have to cook one up - but we usually just take a couple of ducks, geese, a turkey or partridge if we want to eat bird.

Have not done this in a couple of years - never felt the need.

Not to hijack but about 40 or more of those darned turkey critters were in the pasture again this morning. Noisy as all get out.

Bez>

Well if you like dark meat, all I can say is you owe it to yourself to try dove. Plus, a good dove shoot is a lot of fun since we normally have a BBQ afterwards and its a fun time for all.

Minnesota now has a open season for doves. [this will be the 3rd season] It was fought against successfully for years and still is.
The argument for is, MN has the US largest nesting population of dove and we raise them for states farther South. Anyway I did my first dove shoot late year. My conclusions.

Lots of action
Lots of birds
Good way to use up old shells
Sore shoulder
ringing eardrums
Takes a lot of birds to fill this old boy up
Lots of fun :D

Jo Gee, we usually have 4 or 5 fairly good shoots per year over here.

I'll let you know when, maybe you can make it over.

We bait with wheat..................................... :lol:

Mike, judging from what I've seen so far on the other guys place, you might want to try this - and its legal. If it works out as well for me, and its looking promising, I think I'll put some grade 8 chain on the gate to keep any unwanted visitors from showing up. ;-)

Thanks for the invite, I really enjoy shooting at doves.

Dove season is looking great for us down here too. I just read a report in the farm magazine report that we are covered up in those Eurasian Collared doves from Fla. this year. They say they eat just as good and they're almost twice as big. Not to mention they don't count in your bag limit! I've been seeing some and saying "man the doves are big this year, like pigeons!"LOL Then I read the report and understood why our regular doves looked so big.

Bez> You said ya'll have so many but don't shoot em. Maybe you guys need a season or something, they seem overpopulated.

Horticattleman":parap5ek said:
Dove season is looking great for us down here too. I just read a report in the farm magazine report that we are covered up in those Eurasian Collared doves from Fla. this year. They say they eat just as good and they're almost twice as big. Not to mention they don't count in your bag limit! I've been seeing some and saying "man the doves are big this year, like pigeons!"LOL Then I read the report and understood why our regular doves looked so big.

Bez> You said ya'll have so many but don't shoot em. Maybe you guys need a season or something, they seem overpopulated.

And maybe we send some your way?

Seems like a lot of work for a tidbit - but then again, there is the entertainment value.

Not to be underestimated.

Bez+

Bez, crawfish and raw oysters are a lot of work too but well worth it in the long run. :lol: But your right, the biggest part is the gathering of friends, that's priceless. JMO

Jogeephus":3qlil6yj said:
Bez, crawfish and raw oysters are a lot of work too but well worth it in the long run. :lol: But your right, the biggest part is the gathering of friends, that's priceless. JMO

Large things related to spiders, crawling across the bottom of the swamp - eating dead things? And snot in a shell?

Yikes. I think I will pass.

I think I will stick with meat.

Regards

Bez+

Snot in a shell-that describes them to a T. You know those things don't even look right. I got talked into trying one at a restaurant and didn't think I was going to get it down. The waitress kept saying are you okay? Nasty Nasty Nasty. Never again.

Gate Opener":b8qqv4el said:
Snot in a shell-that describes them to a T. You know those things don't even look right. I got talked into trying one at a restaurant and didn't think I was going to get it down. The waitress kept saying are you okay? Nasty Nasty Nasty. Never again.

:lol: :lol:

Somehow I think you and I have not heard the end of this one yet.

Bez+

Gate Opener":zcpvwpx7 said:

I tried one raw several times. I swallowed that thing a half a dozen times before I finally gave up.

Oysters might come in handy one day, luckily I like them;-)

not sure though that doves are worth the effort, I ate hundreds when I was a boy, hunting them with a pellet gun out of the milking parlour, used to bait them with ground corn used in the dairy, sat inside the milking parlour shooting through the window. That was a very long time ago.

Latest posts