Doom and Gloom

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":1uq2valz said:
Shanghai":1uq2valz said:
I'm going bury them along with some beans and rice( and snuff I couldn't live without it) so when the SHTF I'll be ready

When the government comes with gunships, drones, laser guided weapons and etc. I'll have a 22lr :D

You found .22 longs? You really are a survivor!
I found 500 cci 22lr today at gander mountain.

chippie":23gnxp0n said:
you are right about the food. we will need to grow 70% more food on 80% less land in 36 years (by 2050)

I think whoever crunched those numbers got a little exagerated. Plus, I just have too much faith that free market technology will find a way as it always has. We couldn't feed the world on 1800's food production. But we could more than feed the world today. How much land is in CRP?

If half the world had political stability, they could export instead of import.

How many people would grow a garden if food became a significant cost of living?

I think we have lots of reserve, and a ton of technology to burn through. But i also believe in Divine intervention. ;-)

When i was in grade school, the sun was suppose to burn the world up. Then we were going to freeze, then the ozone was deteriorating, then we wouldnt have any place to put our trash, then we were going to run out of antibiotics, I think asteroids were in there somewhere, we had peak oil, water was suppose to run out, acid was going to destroy the rain forrest, now we have global warming turning into climate change. All of this has been proven false.

I'm done with all the hocus pocus. Free trade solves much. Someone needs water, someone else sees a profit in its delivery. We need food, there is profit in finding a way to get it produced in bigger quantities and cheaper.

I'm turning back into a glass half full kinda person. It was how I started out before listening to the voices of the world a little too much.

We lose acres of cropland daily due to expanding cities and housing. The average age of our country's farmers is rising.

The country's farmers and ranchers are getting older and there are fewer people standing in line to take their place.

New Mexico has the highest average age of farmers and ranchers of any state at nearly 60 years old, and neighboring Arizona and Texas aren't far behind. Nationally, the latest agricultural census figures show the fastest growing group of farmers and ranchers are those over age 65.

There is a whole lot more than getting it produced in larger quantities and cheaper. You need the land, resources and of course people to get the job done.
The population is rising and the people have to live somewhere.

I probably won't be here in 36 years, but I do worry about how life will be for my children and grandchildren.

chippie":qav6a2lz said:
We lose acres of cropland daily due to expanding cities and housing. The average age of our country's farmers is rising.

The country's farmers and ranchers are getting older and there are fewer people standing in line to take their place.

New Mexico has the highest average age of farmers and ranchers of any state at nearly 60 years old, and neighboring Arizona and Texas aren't far behind. Nationally, the latest agricultural census figures show the fastest growing group of farmers and ranchers are those over age 65.

There is a whole lot more than getting it produced in larger quantities and cheaper. You need the land, resources and of course people to get the job done.

I probably won't be here in 36 years, but I do worry about how life will be for my children and grandchildren.

All of these farmers have mexicans doing the work that is why they can keep going into old age.

Farmers have statistically been dying for years.

I'm a fourth generation dirt farmer on both sides of my family. Because of my grandparents and parents, I grew up with the history of who lived where and farmed what and was related to so and so by whatever marriage, cousin, inlaw or outlaw- and we have had our share of those. Distant of course. 8)

But my point being, I can show you old homsteads on about every section if not 1/4 section. With a mule, you couldn't farm 2 sections. Now there might be one every 2?- possibly.

With a Massey 65, something that will live in my memory until I die as the first tractor I learned to drive and we still have, you can work till noon and pi.... Uh... jump over what you've worked. That was an old machine when I started, but what I learned on.

The machines that are common now could do in an hour what it took a day to do. There maybe fewer farmers, but they can farm 5x or more ground.

I used to worry right along with you, but I don't now. It is so much nicer. Come on over.

If you want some supporting evidence, look at how much land is in crp. Why? Look at how wheat hasn't kept up with inflation. Look at 1960's wheat, vs today. It's cheap.

Hook":13lli1k0 said:
Let's face it, farming is a skill that is losing ground because it's hard work. But I see it as an opportunity. One to teach my kids and it may turn out to be a very lucrative skill.

You are right Hook! I have been saying for years that in spite of all you here and read that production agriculture is here to stay.

Larry

ALACOWMAN":zow10jt9 said:
Nobody talks about God as much as folks that want you not to believe....thank God every day that he's in charge no matter what happens...funny the more I see the more I believe...

AMEN

hurleyjd":2h58qcut said:
chippie":2h58qcut said:

All of these farmers have mexicans doing the work that is why they can keep going into old age.

In the corn belt it's 32 row planters and 600 hp tractors that steer themselves. Farming is still hard, but not as hard as it once was.

Larry

My planters require arm power to steer them.. I guess im doing something wrong lol However if SHTF I have 3 horses to eat now.

skyhightree1":3jjzpdda said:
My planters require arm power to steer them.. I guess im doing something wrong lol However if SHTF I have 3 horses to eat now.
:deadhorse:

:clap:

:nod:

I watched a documentary last night on a family of farmers that were 3 or 4 generations deep and they farmed 8,000 acres of barley just for beer. The combine was unbelievably big.

TennesseeTuxedo":2b5bzbvb said:
melking":2b5bzbvb said:
I watched a documentary last night on a family of farmers that were 3 or 4 generations deep and they farmed 8,000 acres of barley just for beer. The combine was unbelievably big.

I can barely comprehend that much barley. :)

I've known a guy or two that has tried their best to consume it. :D

I am afraid that it will be worse that that. People will be hungry and will come out and raid the corn crops, etc...Steal from the gardens. Disease....
I am afraid the Bible will repeat itself. God does punish nations that do not follow his laws. Let's see what comes first. Scary isn't it?

Commercialfarmer":355it91r said:
TennesseeTuxedo":355it91r said:
melking":355it91r said:

I can barely comprehend that much barley. :)

I've known a guy or two that has tried their best to consume it. :D

Guilty as charged your Honor.

The average age of our country's farmers is rising.
I don't believe that statistic shows the truth of the matter. I believe that large scale production agriculture has taken the place of small farms in many cases. Since it is nearly impossible for a young person to jump in with thousands of acres and equipment to match we see farming becoming generational. So while it is true that the current owner of the farm may well be in his sixties, the next generation is in their thirties and they are the ones running the daily operations but legally have no ownership. By the time they have legal ownership they may well be in their fifties or even sixties but they've been the farmer for years. I see this played out on the mega-dairies all the time.
At thirty six, I'm one of only a handful of farmers around who started small with my own money and built it into something(still small :roll: ) but I know literally hundreds of guys my age who are farmers/ranchers/dairymen who will have at least part ownership of the operation they're with in a matter of time so you can see how a survey of my age group in this area would skew the information.

cow pollinater":2kt3ys8n said:
The average age of our country's farmers is rising.
I don't believe that statistic shows the truth of the matter. I believe that large scale production agriculture has taken the place of small farms in many cases. Since it is nearly impossible for a young person to jump in with thousands of acres and equipment to match we see farming becoming generational. So while it is true that the current owner of the farm may well be in his sixties, the next generation is in their thirties and they are the ones running the daily operations but legally have no ownership. By the time they have legal ownership they may well be in their fifties or even sixties but they've been the farmer for years. I see this played out on the mega-dairies all the time.
At thirty six, I'm one of only a handful of farmers around who started small with my own money and built it into something(still small :roll: ) but I know literally hundreds of guys my age who are farmers/ranchers/dairymen who will have at least part ownership of the operation they're with in a matter of time so you can see how a survey of my age group in this area would skew the information.

Interesting and astute observation CP. I hope you are correct.

Too many farmer's kids down here want no part of farming. They're going to college, getting out and getting a job in town. May be agriculture related but no farming for them or their kids.

Latest posts