donkey and calves

Help Support CattleToday:

CLEEK

Reaction score
I HAD CALVE BORN LAST NIGHT AND AS SOON AS THE CALF HIT THE GROUND ONE OF THE JENNY WE HAVE IN THE FIELD TRY TO KILL IT DOSE ANYONE KNOW WHY SHE WOULD TRY TO DO THAT?

CLEEK, How long have the donkeys been with the cattle? We run a couple of Jennies and Jacks ourselves but they have always been with cattle since birth and are never aggressive in any way. I have heard of donkeys hurting cattle but this usually occurs when someone thinks that they can put any old donkey in with their cattle regardless of their background.

By the way... :welcome:

SOME TIMES THEY SEE IT AS A THREAT. ITS BEST TO KEEP THE DONKEYS OUT UNTIL CALVING IS DONE. IF YOU HAVE A FENCE THAT BORDERS THE COWS THAT THE DONKEYS CAN SEE THE CALVES THEY WILL SOON FIGURE OUT THEY ARE PART OF THE HERD.

Bigfoot":eznac8l1 said:
Some donkeys will kill calves. It's rare, but it does happen.
I have heard that as well... just thankful that I have not experienced it. Do you think the calf reminds them of a dog or coyote? Just a thought...

Not sure tn, I know a good friend of mine had some Plummer bred cows, and a donkey killed some of their calves. I'd of thought that a Plummer bred cow would have killed the donkey.

This old guy had me shoot a donkey for him he said that once they start killing calves they don't stop

M5farm":3vaagoon said:
SOME TIMES THEY SEE IT AS A THREAT. ITS BEST TO KEEP THE DONKEYS OUT UNTIL CALVING IS DONE. IF YOU HAVE A FENCE THAT BORDERS THE COWS THAT THE DONKEYS CAN SEE THE CALVES THEY WILL SOON FIGURE OUT THEY ARE PART OF THE HERD.

STOP PICKING ON PEOPLE M5! :deadhorse:

WELCOME umm I mean welcome CLEEK!

THE JENNY THAT WE HAVE HAS BEEN WITH THE CATTLE FOR AROUND 8 YEARS SHE HAS NEVER DONE ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE, ON THE OTHER HAND SHE HAS LOST HER OWN BABY A FEW MONTHS AGO SO MAYBE THAT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT

We have to keep small calves out of our horse pasture. Not just because of our donkey, but our horses too. My daughter had to get rid of her donkey, she found it with a new calf in his mouth shaking it like a rag doll...
I keep our donkey because, one he's known world wide via Youtube. And two, i love when new people come over and while outside i go over and tell them i saw them checking out my a$$... The looks i get are priceless............Of course i eventually tell them i meant the donkey..

My eyes hurt.. Please stop yelling!

Some dogs are good with cats, some aren't... If you want to keep the donkey, make sure it's in it's own pen, otherwise find it another home or put it down.. Seeing it's been aggressive once, I certainly wouldn't trust it anymore!

Donkeys protect the field from dogs, coyotes ect.. They don't know the difference between the calf and a dog. Just something new in the field to them. I keep my horses and donkey separate from my cows at calving time until the calves are older, then I don't worry anymore. About 3-4 months, after they see them over the fence for awhile.

DONKEYS ARENT DUMB, SHE KNEW WHAT SHE KILLED. I'D PERSONALLY SHOOT HER SINCE IT WOULDNT BE WORTH THE FUEL TO HAUL HER OFF.....my throat hurts now.

The donkey we have earned his right to live out his life on our place. He halter broke many of the kids show heifers. He's well over 30 and probably wouldnt get a calf anymore. Our problem is our ranch horses. They not only get baby calves, but they will get weanlings. Luckily they live in the hay pasture and cows are rarely in it.

Latest posts